What's wrong with my cs fps?

Siphon

Baseband Member
In 3dmark03 I get over 300 fps in many of the games, but when I play cs, I only get 60 fps? Why is this? Many of the games included in 3dmark03 have much better graphics than cs. How can I get my fps higher?

same here i get 300 + som times in 3dmark03 yet cs;s i get between 30-100 usualy on the 30-50 side.... cs;s just needs more cpu power aswell as gpu power so i heard.

isnt it because when your doing 3dmark its not really on the fly rendering? Like each time you use it theres a sequence layed out, your video card doesn't need to think about where each shadow should be, because its already plotted out where it goes. 3dmark is more sequential, while games are more on the fly, hence a drop in fps. thats what i always thought.

its because u have verticle sink on so your fps is locked at 60 turn it off in the nvidia options under performance and quality settings

gaming_freak said:
its because u have verticle sink on so your fps is locked at 60 turn it off in the nvidia options under performance and quality settings

Yep, this is prolly the reason. And as long as the fps is above 60 it's good.

hehe, thats what i was thinking of when I read it.

Yeah, there should be something in the game options about it too, since its more likely it'll be on on there and not set to always on, in the video card settings, or I think even in 3dmark, it'd probably override the settings and turn it on too.

Check both, and hopefully the problem will be fixed.
If you get this weird flickering effect though, called banding I think, it'll be because the video card is rendering faster than the monitor is set to display at, and the monitor when it is ready, displays the next frame, which is why you might get this when moving about fast. Some games get it more than others, and so if you have a fast machine, it is best sometimes, to turn it on.

This is because, if you think about it, what is the point getting 300fps, when only 60 is displayed anyway?

Siphon said:
how do i change the verticle sync?
do i change it to non-application controlled?

Well, you want to change it to APPLICATION CONTROLLED for CSS, then, go into your Video settings on CSS and look for (Wait for Monitor) or something similar to that phrase *goes and looks on menus*..................

AH HA. Found it:

It is under the advanced settings under the video tab, LABELED WAIT FOR VERTICAL SYNC (set it to DISABLED).

should i also set my screen refresh rate higher? right now it is at 60hertz, it can go up to 85hertz.

also, is it safe to turn off v-sync? is it possible i could damage my computer/video card by doing this?

Siphon said:
should i also set my screen refresh rate higher? right now it is at 60hertz, it can go up to 85hertz.

also, is it safe to turn off v-sync? is it possible i could damage my computer/video card by doing this?

On lower end computers, turning off VSync can damage things, but your 6600GT can EASILY keep pace with CSS without much effort. You should get around 30 FPS (at the lowest) all the way up to 120FPS+ (during minimal times). yes, turn off vsync, turn up your refresh to 75Hz.

Back
Top Bottom