What's the difference between the FX-57 and the 154?

Quinton McLeod said:

4) It has 3 (count'em... THREE) incoherent links! 3 of them!! That means that, if you buy a MB that utilizes those links, you can have double the bandwidth for your south bridge.

That is wrong. 3 incoherent links means that you can have a maximum of 3 Opteron 154s in one system, i.e. max 3 sockets on one motherboard. So, the FX-57 only has 1, that just means it can only be used in single processor systems.

The Opteron 1xx's only have one link, so you can only have one of those on a motherboard. The Opteron 2xx's are able to link with two Opteron's max, reguardless if it's single or dual-core. Then there's the uber awesome Opteron 8xx's that can link up to EIGHT Opteron's on a single motherboard, and they can all be dual-core too. :D

prosser13 said:
That is wrong. 3 incoherent links means that you can have a maximum of 3 Opteron 154s in one system, i.e. max 3 sockets on one motherboard. So, the FX-57 only has 1, that just means it can only be used in single processor systems.

That's incorrect, my friend....

Incoherent HTT Links are links from the CPU to the motherboard... Commonly used for bridging certain devices to the CPU's memory controller (HTT)

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=6185

Read there if you don't believe me

prosser13 said:
The FX-57 is totally multiplier unlocked. An overclockers dream! On the Opteron it is only downwards unlocked.

That's why the FX-57 is $200 more expensive. It is an overclockers dream!

And if its got 3 incoherent links, that just means you can have 3 in one system.

You're right... The FX-57 is faster... Only reason is because of the memory controller improvements to the FX-57...

Well, prosser13, you win today! But I'll be back!! :p

alvino said:
The Opteron 1xx's only have one link, so you can only have one of those on a motherboard. The Opteron 2xx's are able to link with two Opteron's max, reguardless if it's single or dual-core. Then there's the uber awesome Opteron 8xx's that can link up to EIGHT Opteron's on a single motherboard, and they can all be dual-core too. :D

And you're incorrect too... All Opterons do have 3 Incorherent HTT Links :p

Read the above link I sent for the other guy

I'm not talking about THOSE links.

The Opteron series consists of:
-Opteron 1xx
-Opteron 2xx
-Opteron 8xx

Each chip has a three-digit model number, in the form "Opteron xyy". The first digit (the x) specifies the maximum number of CPUs on the target machine:

* 1 - Designed for uniprocessor systems
* 2 - Designed for dual-processor systems
* 8 - Designed for systems with 4 or 8 processors

The last two digits in the model number (the yy) give an indication of the speed of the CPU. Values of yy numbered 60 or higher indicate dual-core models.

That's what I meant, not your incoherent links or whatnot.

Wait - I'm not sure whether it is coherent or incoherent now. That link was too confusing and I'm tired :(

Back
Top Bottom