what would happen if....

It'll be fine. Depending on the CPU your using (FX series) you could lower the Multiplyer and up the FSB to 250MHz (DDR 500 or CPU FSB 1GHz). The reason i said lower the multiplyer is to take a bit of strain of the CPU. Once you know it works, try upping the Multiplyer to see how much of an overclock you can get. You could try this with a standard Athlon 64, I'd reckomend the venice cores though. Note - You don't need to upp the FSB straight to 250MHz. Do it in steps until it fails to boot then reset the Bios and set it to the highest working FSB as before.

You get greater performance improvement over a higher FSB than the equivelently clocked CPU through increased multiplyer.

It depends more on the manufacturer of the RAM more now than anything else. What make is it?

i havent decided yet, i was just wondering becuase in my system it think its the ram holding it back, i have my current ram at 433mhz and it wont go much higher than that and i have no idea why because ive read about people getting the same ram i have to 500mhz

connchri said:
It'll be fine. Depending on the CPU your using (FX series) you could lower the Multiplyer and up the FSB to 250MHz (DDR 500 or CPU FSB 1GHz). The reason i said lower the multiplyer is to take a bit of strain of the CPU. Once you know it works, try upping the Multiplyer to see how much of an overclock you can get. You could try this with a standard Athlon 64, I'd reckomend the venice cores though. Note - You don't need to upp the FSB straight to 250MHz. Do it in steps until it fails to boot then reset the Bios and set it to the highest working FSB as before.

You get greater performance improvement over a higher FSB than the equivelently clocked CPU through increased multiplyer.

It depends more on the manufacturer of the RAM more now than anything else. What make is it?

since we are on this topic.....let me get something cleared FSB is same thing as clock frequency...my current clock frequency is 200 MHz (Gigabyte K8NS PRO and AMD Athlon 64 3400+)

ya i know its just that all the amd motherboards say they support ddr400 and nothing higher so i was just wondering if it would actually work with ddr500 cause i think ddr400 limits amd systems

dhaval_1920 said:
since we are on this topic.....let me get something cleared FSB is same thing as clock frequency...my current clock frequency is 200 MHz (Gigabyte K8NS PRO and AMD Athlon 64 3400+)

After quoting my original post, what are you getting at?

It also depends on exactly what part of the system we're talking about. Clock Frequency is the tearm used to describe, in computer architecure terms, how fast a certain BUS or hardware is running at in terms of cycles per second - not directly limited to the FSB. I.E. A CPU can be descriped as having a clock frequency of 2GHz while the FSB can also be described as having a clock frequency of 200MHz.

So while we're on the subject of picking something out of someones previous post to posting a personal contrast of FSB and Clock Frequency, take note of the above.

You have cleared nothing.

Back
Top Bottom