What would be a good graphics upgrade??

SwitchBlade305

Baseband Member
hello. i would like to know what would be a good upgrade from a geforce 4 ti 4200 graphics card. i am willing to spend about 150 200 dollars, and was wondering if the ati radeon 9600xt would be a good upgrade. i would like to run half life 2 playable and have it look decent as well. my current set up

amd athlon XP 2000+ @ 1.8
1 gig ram
4 ti 4200 128mb
350 psu
etc

i do realize that my computer is a little old, and i would like to be able to play half life 2 decently. like i said please let me know if the ATI 9600xt 128mb would be a good upgrade from this card. and if there are any other cards in the 150-200 range that would run half life 2 well, please let me know. i was told the 9600xt would be a good upgrade from the 4 ti, but i would like to get other peoples feedback as well so i can make the right choice. any help and post would be great. thanks!

i would go with a 9700 pro, 9800 pro, or even a 6600gt depending on budget. hell, even get a 9600xt if your low on cash. by the way, your gonna want to upgrade the PSU as well

9600 xt is better than 9700, i believe they stopped makin teh 9700 too, sadly i have one, and it is recognized as 9600

you definately will find a new psu to run a new demanding card like the 6600Gt AGP, get a 450w psu at least or a 500w preferable, it will be worth it in the long run, because with the extra power ull be able to oc slighltey especially since u have an amd

9600 is a good card! or get the 6600GT like airiox said but like the other guys said you might need a new power supply

nah that PSU is plenty powerful the 6600 GT takes much less power than its big brothers.

U can easily and comfortably run 2x 6600GT's (if u needed to) on a 400watt PSU, no need to go to 450W or 500W for the one card.

yes i am definatly going to get a new psu, only because i want plent of power running throught my machine. i have also made the decsion that i will be upgradeing the CPU to an AMD Athlon XP 3200+, which i belive will greatly improve my system preformance, seeing how my cpu now is only running at a roughly 1.8. my motherboard doesnt take any of the new AMDs, like the 64 series or the FX, but i feel that if i put in the best athlon xp in its class, which i belive the 3200+ is the best, than i will get overall a better gaming experience for half life 2 and doom 3.

Back
Top Bottom