what are those things called that you stick in a bay and get your temps..

quartz01

In Runtime
hey all, i am making a new rig. it gonna be a athlon64 3000+, 1gb pc3200 ram, and a 9600xt

anyways, i have seen these really sick things that you stick in like a floppy or cd drive bay and it tells you the temperature of your CPU (and video card)?? anyways, i was just wondering what there names are cause i reallly want one :D
can i get some newegg links?? i hope its not expensive..

I know what you are talking about. It is actually a hard disk and system cooling device which you install like a cdrom. It keeps your hard disk cool and you can monitor you can have a model that gives you the different temperatures right in from of your PC. It is a cool device. http://www.directron.com/sensors.html

oh man, thanks alot. those are so sweet

it seems tricky to set up though, has anyone here done it to tell me if it is? Oh, and i just want it to read my temps, i don't care about controlling the RPM of the fans? i mean, will the RPM still automatically go up and down like it usually does even if i have this?

Depending on the model, it is as easy to install as installing a cdrom. Ideally you would want to install in in a bay between 2 hard drives. What this device does it that it keeps the hard drive cool (have you ever touched a hard drive after it had been running for a consirable amount of time)..(I have 10,000 rpm WD hard disk and they get even hotter because of their faster speed).
So what you have to find out if you have space to install this device, and also you may want to move a hard disk around so the unit will be set between two hard disks. If you only have one set in between a cdrom and move your hard disk close to the cooling device.
You may have to buy a Y connector to supply electricity to the unit in case they are all used. For the rest, your motherboard will do it's thing about CPU temp, as well as your videocard; and there are some models that will display on the front the figures you will easily be able to see without having to access your bios or special program.

I have software that came with my motherboard that monitors temps also, depending on the brand of motherboard you get, it might come with the software. You don't really need one of those fancy front panels, all they are is a waste of money, just get some software that monitors temps.

Back
Top Bottom