What should i do(comp will not go past startup)

thesinter

Baseband Member
After going to best-buy and purchasing some ddr2 ram i go home and try to insert it into my computer to only find out that my comp slots were only for ddr.
My motherboard has 4 ram slots with 2 occupied by 2 512mb, i tried to put my new 1 gig ddr2 ram into the slot not knowing it wouldn't work(yes i did use force since i thought i had the right type.)

well i realize i have the wrongs ram type and i take it out and try to start up like usual, but my comp will not go past the startup bios screen..it just stays black (right before the windows loading screen comes up).. so i then tried to re-image my comp to see if it would get past that,but it never gets past were it says "checking hardware" it goes black and stays there.. it seems that the comp dosn't turn off and that it just stays on a black bios screen.

I have blown on the ram slots to get rid of dust, and the startup does recognize that there my ram is there.

so i am wondering if i broke my motherboard or something had gotten unpluged? I can't figure out what is wrong with my computer/ PLEASE HELP

Sounds like you have damaged it to me, theres never any need to use force on a component, if its meant to fit then it will. Guess you have learned the hard way.

that is what i thought i have done... i didn't use a large amount of force or anything, but i guess i did use enough to mess up my motherboard.

looks like a little ram upgrade turned into a big motherboard and probably a cpu upgrade, because of stupidity

hmmmm ?? id say you have definately damed your RAM slots although most motherboard will give a horrible beeping sound when there is a RAM problem (supposing you have your onboard speaker plugged in)

just to check its your RAM and not strangely your hard drive try booting from a xp cd (if it will let you) and if you get an address error while its trying to load the cd its definately your RAM

i think he may have stuck DDR2 ram into a DDR slot :eek: NOT GOOD!!

whats your specs of your pc just curious

Back
Top Bottom