What is over clocking?

dickibobboy

In Runtime
the title says it all. i have been reading the other threads and i wonsered what overclocking is. Thankx

Generally, it's like turbo charging your computer. You are increasing the frequency of the component you are overclocking such as the CPU, memory, GPU, etc.

From a Computer Dictionary :p
Any adjustments made to computer hardware (or software) to make its CPU run at a higher clock frequency than intended by the original manufacturers. Typically this involves replacing the crystal in the clock generation circuitry with a higher frequency one or changing jumper settings or software configuration.

Basically overclocking is what you do to a c or anything really to make it go faster, With a video Card, it says it can preform @ 300Mhz and you using software get it up to 350Mhz, same with Ram, or the CPU.

just boosts performance and lowers teh life of your computer. doesnt really matter to most people though, the performance gain is greater than the amount of life it loses. usually after o/c a cpu it drops from 7-10 years life to 5-7 life years. but most people change before that time anyway

Unless you intend on making your parts last 7 or more years then don't OC. But chances are in 7 years time top of the line parts that you got 7 years ago would be absoleet anyways.

exactly thats why when i was thinking if im going to o/c or not i decided to because im always upgrading anyway

Back
Top Bottom