What is LBA?

Skygee

Solid State Member
I saw mention of "LBA capable hard disk" but google search gives nothing I understand...can anyone offer a short non-computerese explanation? Thanks.

Its a simple addressing scheme used by the OS for finding the physical location of data on a storage device. Think of it like an apartment complex. You have the apartment (your HDD) and each suite (block of data) is numbered starting with 0 then 1 and so on (2, 3, 4, 5, etc). Its kind of hard to understand at first because humans know where something is simply by looking at it, each object has a place in space and time. But the OS only has an address, and its not a physical address. The OS can't simply look on the HDD and say "oh THERE's my file" it can only find it through that logical address, which converts using an addressing scheme, into a physical disk location.
Does this help?
Note: LBA is a very basic addressing scheme, I don't know what site your looking at, but after 1996 practically every HDD was equipped to handle LBA.

Its a simple addressing scheme used by the OS for finding the physical location of data on a storage device. Think of it like an apartment complex. You have the apartment (your HDD) and each suite (block of data) is numbered starting with 0 then 1 and so on (2, 3, 4, 5, etc). Its kind of hard to understand at first because humans know where something is simply by looking at it, each object has a place in space and time. But the OS only has an address, and its not a physical address. The OS can't simply look on the HDD and say "oh THERE's my file" it can only find it through that logical address, which converts using an addressing scheme, into a physical disk location.
Does this help?
Note: LBA is a very basic addressing scheme, I don't know what site your looking at, but after 1996 practically every HDD was equipped to handle LBA.

Many thanks, is does indeed help!

Back
Top Bottom