What laptop should I buy FAQ

Zaki God

Baseband Member
INSTRUCTIONS: New laptop buyers, please copy and paste the below questions into a new thread with as many answers as you can give, this way others can help you to find a laptop that fits your needs.

START COPY
==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less
b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

Standard
a. XGA -1024x768 - Large and easy to read text + graphics icons, but you fit less stuff on the screen.
b. SXGA - 1400x1050 - Compromise resolution between XGA and UXGA.
c. UXGA - 1600x1200 - Very small text and graphics icons, you can fit lots of stuff on the screen.

Widescreen
d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 200GB?

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD-ROM, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-RW drive?

==========
END COPY

Please state any additional features you need. It's also helpful if you can indicate how experienced you are with computers. If you're a novice and don't know how to answer some questions just say so!

GLOSSARY AND EXPLANATION FOR SOME TERMS USED ABOVE

Glossy vs. Matte Screen

Glossy screens have a reflective coating. Colors appear sharper and more vibrant. They do however produce more glare. Some people like them, others do not. The glare problem is most acute in well lit environments, like an office. Glossy screens tend to be better for multimedia uses like viewing DVDs or photos. If you are unfamiliar with the screen types, we would highly recommend you check some of each type out before you buy. The screen is one of the more important parts on a notebook. You do not want to get stuck with something you do not like.

Screen Size & Resolution

Please note screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some can view SXGA resolution on a 14” screen all day while others think it is horribly small. Again, we would recommend you check some notebook screens before you buy to see what best fits your needs. (see notebook screen guide article for more info)

Mods i wanna see this stickied .I already gave him rep before but this can be and will be extremely usefull

No sticky for this this one yet. Personally I belive we have enough in this section as it is.

However, this was extremely well put together, so I added a link to here in the general guide thread.

@Muz, congrats on 3000

yep thats why david should have added a guide section :p. least we have the one sticky that no one looks at before they post ;)

Hey i know if this cant be made a sticky why not re do this thread and add this post to it .http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=35776
Or even better somebody , me if needed can write one for faq's before buying a desktop pc then we can make a sticky with please answer theese questions if you want help buying a pc or laptop .

Back
Top Bottom