What do i need to backup HARDDRIVE a) to Harddrive b) REAL FAST.

djskiggz

In Runtime
I just bought this HD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152100

I will be using this harddrive in my main PC and it will hold all of my music.

I'm going to also need to buy a backup hard drive to backup my data on a routine basis. And I want it to work FAST. I do not wana sit there and copy and paste everytime.

I'm going to buy an external drive as my backup, but im not sure if i just need a regular one or if there is anything i need to make it work fast and possibly set my backup on a automatic schedule?

If you want the fastest option an external drive is not the best choice.

If you are able to do RAID consider setting up a RAID1 array.

Otherwise you might want to get an internal HDD (SATA II). 3 GB/s Bandwidth.

But if you do get an external then I would go in this order as to which kind of connection you want the external to be able to do.

1. eSATA - But if your case/mobo don't allow for this then you will have to get a peripheral card. 3000 MB/s Bandwidth.

2. Firewire 800 - Once again though your mobo probably doesn't support it and you would have to get a peripheral card. 786.432 MB/s Bandwidth.

3. USB 2.0 - Mobo probably supports it. 480 MB/s Bandwidth.

4. Firewire 400 - Mobo may/may not support it. 400 MB/s Bandwidth.

5. USB 1.0 - Probably supports it but is terribly slow. 12 MB/s Bandwidth.

I got an ASUS P6T does that support it?

I need the HD to be external because I will be carring it around with me to gigs. DO you got any suggestions on what to go with?

I got an ASUS P6T does that support it?

I need the HD to be external because I will be carring it around with me to gigs. DO you got any suggestions on what to go with?

Well I have a Sony Vaio mini USB 2.0 external HDD, 250GB (got it for like £60 on eBay in January). I'm very happy from the speed of transfer. Usually i transfer stuff from my home computer to the HDD, then from the HDD to the office comp, in the morning. And in the evening - the other way around! :eek: And we are talking about 70-100 GB every transfer (CCTV footages from covert cameras). So you can imagine that i also need something fast. Well, its doing the transfer pretty fast. I dont know how much exactly but by the time i wash my teeth and smoke one cigarette - its done :rolleyes: Plus it is very light, around 150-200 grams, and comfortably small.

This might be a good suggestion fo you ;)

I run a RAID 1 config, and backing up is done as I write stuff to the drives. Its pretty safe in my opinion.
At least if one drive went, I'd still be in the okay

It looks like you can do any of the choices I listed. Except Firewire 800 your board does NOT support.
But your board supports RAID, eSATA, USB 2.0, and Firewire 400. And you wouldn't need any additional hardware for any of them, except of course Firewire 800.

Back
Top Bottom