What is different about a HTPC (Home Theatre Personal Computer)???

Juan handed

In Runtime
What characteristics are special to a HTPC compared to other computers?
What are the special hardware requirements?

In my situation,gaming is not a consideration.
Thanks for the help!

You'll want a large hard drive (or several large hard drives) if you plan on storing a lot of movies/video that way. A capture card or TV card for hooking up cable TV is pretty common on HTPCs. A decent video card is important, but you won't need a high end gaming card or anything. Onboard video will usually do as long as it's a decent one and has the correct port(s) to connect to your TV.

i've seen a few HTPCs around lately, and they seem to me to be slightly toned-down gaming PCs. If you plan on playing ripped Blurays/1080p movies you will need an efficient CPU, but not overkill. something in the range of an i3/Athlon dual would probably suffice. Like Cboucher said, video card wont be too much of a consideration, since most onboards will handle it reasonably well. If onboard is hard to come by, something like a GT 220 or a HD 3/4000 series would be fine, and not too pricey.

Since a DVD-resolution film is around 800MB usually, and a HD (720p/1080p) film can be anything upwards of 3-4GBs each, a large drive or several is definately recommended.

Thank you.
What kind of PSU would be sufficient for these needs,how much power?

Would there be an advantage in having multiple hard-drives versus one large HD?

Noise and heat is also a big consideration with HTPC's, because a lot of people like to just stuff it into their media center and forget about it. Therefore a quality PSU and power effecient parts are certainly a plus

Well, having more than one drive does present a certain fault tolerance over a single drive. Because if one fails then the others still work, so you dont lose ALL your movies.

Also, i suggest having the OS (whichever you decide to use) on a separate HDD, or atleast separate partition from your film data, since OSs (especially Windows tbqh.) do have a tendancy to crap out on you once in a while, and reformatting and reinstalling while knowing your data is being destroyed is a bitch.

Also, it's not unheard of for a HTPC to use server tricks like RAID for securing of movies, specifically RAID5, since the parity (fault tolerance) element would help avoid loss of large amounts of data.

Most common in HTPCs are big drives, a mid-range GPU for hi-def movies, a TV tuner (That's kind of needed for them!) and most of them provides a look that resembles your other electronics, like your DVD player. Also, a Blu-Ray drive would be great...in fact, even Blu-Ray burners are less than a hundred bucks nowdays!

Back
Top Bottom