What Computer for Children?

If the kids are using Windows at school, it will be hard to convince them and teach them how to use a MAC (or vice versa).

I think you could look into a netbook. The Acer Aspire One is a really good laptop for the price. We have a whole cart-lab for our kids in the Elementary (grades K-5). They really seem to love them. It might be a bit more difficult for the adult, but I used one as my only computer for about 3 months before we bought the lab and it was fine after about a week of getting used to it. Plus, you might be able to squeeze out 2 and still be right around the budget.
Sounds pretty interesting.I suppose the small keyboard probably suits the kids well.I'm surprised to see they go for about $300.

Do you work with these kids? I'm interested to see if these netbooks have any shortcomings,and how do the kids treat these units,as far as not abusing or dropping them,etc.

kids should be fine with them, shortcomeing of netbooks are usually media related, like putting together a photoshop slideshow etc.
i think they'd be great if all they'd be used for is internet and stuff.

kids should be fine with them, shortcomeing of netbooks are usually media related, like putting together a photoshop slideshow etc.
i think they'd be great if all they'd be used for is internet and stuff.

Do you mean the actual putting together of the slideshow,as in the graphics being small on a small screen,or do you mean for the purposes of showing to others?

Pepso,do you find yourself doing graphic related stuff for some of you required schoolwork?

Sounds pretty interesting.I suppose the small keyboard probably suits the kids well.I'm surprised to see they go for about $300.

Do you work with these kids? I'm interested to see if these netbooks have any shortcomings,and how do the kids treat these units,as far as not abusing or dropping them,etc.

We have a laptop cart-lab of 25 of them for our elementary students. They have been fine so far.

They like them. They are easier for the kids to handle than the bigger laptops. The biggest thing has been for the kids (1st & 2nd graders) to get used to the touchpad (for the mouse). However, if you are only getting one, then you could get a USB mouse and solve that problem.

What is the age group using these computers?
Have you been setting any of them up with the USB mouse or do the kids adapt?

Elementary students are between 6-10 (or so). They have adapted.

Some of the teachers still complain about it, and a few of the students seem to still have a little trouble, but as a group, they have adapted well.

Back
Top Bottom