A wee unwanted reboot problem. Help/advice requested.

Speedy

Beta member
Hi all, wondering if anyone can help. I have a problem in that my computer reboots all by itself (clever little thing huh?) No error messages appear. All that happens is there is a slight change in the pitch of the fans then it reboots. I have virus and spyware scanned til I'm blue in the face! The system log does not show any abnormal fatal errors after such a reboot either!!

Reading up on it, I suspect it may be a psu problem. I have downloaded and am using Motherboard Monitor and all the voltage values remain more or less constant except for the +12volt indicator which shows fluctuations as low as 10.3volts. Basically, my question is, is this the root of my problem and, if so, is it a psu issue or a motherboard issue??

If this is not the problem, does anyone have any ideas (apart from just throwing the infernal machine out the window!)

Yours hopefully,

Speedy

It more likely the PSU then anything. I suggest that you test it on another computer to make sure. Then if this isnt your problem you know its your motherboard.

Has this computer been overclocked by you at all? Because if your computer is getting hot this also may be your problem....

Hi Nasha...Blimey...that was quick...thank you. I'd have answered earlier but had 2 reboots :(...In all honesty, I wouldn't know what an "overclock" is. certainly not something I have done intentionally with the system. I think I need an expert to look at it but appreciate ur time in replying

Regards

Speedy

Unsure if this will help but my previous system did exactly the same and it was my PSU at the root of the problems.

To anyone who has been having similar problems, I changed my psu and voila...Life is good again. Thanks to those who replied to me.

Signing off (til the next glitch)

Speedy

Don't sign of until the next glitch! Spend around half an hour a day here, You will learn a lot!

Back
Top Bottom