WD Portable HD

hitmanwa

Baseband Member
Just bought a new 320gb portable hd. I plugged it into my Latitude D600 and now I'm getting (Code 43). Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be? I can't find anything of any use on their web site.

Is it a usb model? You should be seeing the installation screen appear with the options for Google, Memo backup, and the main installer itself.

If you are only running Windows look to see if the drive is listed in the Disk Management tool and reformat it from the factory Fat volume to NTFS. Windows will then see it installed as a new logical drive.

With XP you will first see the auto play popup appear when the drive is detected if plugged in while booted in Windows. Vista simply displays the new hardware found message.

Yes, it's usb and I'm running XP.

When I plug it in it says it's found new hardware and then it says the driver has found a problem with it. The drive doesn't show up anywhere and the auto installer doesn't start up.

The support site at WD will request the actual serial number there when going for the replacement software in a zip file. I have a usb model by them in use here for both XP and Vista.

Trying a different port may help if the one it's plugged into now is seeing a problem. The support site starts off with the series/model selection seen at http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

Well, I got it working last night and it worked great. I just changed USB ports. However, this morning I got to the office and plugged it in the same port and now it says power surge bus port. Does that mean my bus doesn't have enough power to support it? do I need to get a USB hub or something?

Thanks for the help on this, really appreciate it.

I tried plugging the usb model here into a hub and didn't get anywhere while you may a hub if something else connected is pulling the bus down. I had to get one for a different item seeing a similar problem.

When adding on a new keyboard with backlighting here sudden rapid flashes with the lighting and problems with the last letter or character goingggggggggg... as if the key was being held down. Once that was plugged into a separate hub everything worked normal.

Back
Top Bottom