Vista Dual boot?

kjman87

Daemon Poster
Anyone see a problem with dual bootings Vista and XP,

Ill get a second HD and load vista on one, while XP is on the other...

I guess this really isnt dual booting then huh...lol

but could i be a problem that one of the main drives for the OS is not going to b C:?

yeah let me know before I go about and try this lol

ohh and this post = 500!!!!

I don't seen any conciveable problem but there is always a chance of their being one.

i would recomend having both actual operating system on different partitions of the master drive, and all the data on your second hard drive.

if you need a partitioning program g-parted is a good free one. google it if you need it.

i dual booted xp and vista on 1 hdd before (vista beta) and it was fine. it should be fine on 2 hdds as long as they are plugged in ok.

i used to install 98 on a d: drive perfectly fine on my old pc. as long as the boot.ini knows what drive it has to boot from then it should be fine (i think thats how it works). when installing vista just choose to install it on the other hdd. the boot.ini should automatically set its self up for a dual boot.

it should work fine.
if it were to go wrong, download vistabootpro and it should fix whatever problem u may be having.

Make sure to RAID the hdd's first please..you will have more trouble ifyou dont.

kjman87 said:
Anyone see a problem with dual bootings Vista and XP,

Ill get a second HD and load vista on one, while XP is on the other...

I guess this really isnt dual booting then huh...lol

but could i be a problem that one of the main drives for the OS is not going to b C:?

yeah let me know before I go about and try this lol

ohh and this post = 500!!!!
I have the same thing going, but I unplug the other hard drive before booting into the OS I want. I never tried booting with both plugged in, mostly in fear of losing all my data if something goes wrong (which has happened to me many times before).

Haha, feels good to be a Senior Member, don't it??

And there's really no reason to RAID the hard drives, that would be just like putting both on one hard drive...with the hassle of setting up RAID.

Back
Top Bottom