Vista Download Problems

stuckinthecave

Baseband Member
Ok, so after 2 days, and three formats, I'm about to give up on vista.

Here's my problem. Everytime I download something, I get an error message, but it's never the same error message. It will say "file is corrupt" or "file is incomplete" or "randomfile.dll is missing" or the any of the ussual cryptic "0x00348872c(insert more random characters here) error. Contact your administrator (which is me)". I know the files aren't corrupted (these are files from microsoft, CA, Norton, just to name a few, they cant be corrupt for 2 days without anybody noticing). I can't download any updates, but I can check. I've scanned the computer for the expected and unexpected threats, and I have found nothing (I've used avg, avast, norton, CA, mcafee, and hijackthis just to be sure). I did a format and clean install, 3 times, all with the same results. I replaced the wireless router, updated the wireless drivers (downloaded from another computer), and nothing has worked. When I try to load web pages, sometimes it skips html code (?!) so I get a bunch of text intead of a web page (it's done it twice on the forums so far, I'm sorry if I double post). I've tried firefox and opera, and I get the same thing. The only thing that's left unchanged is windows, I think, unless I missed something. Has anybody else experienced this, and do you have any suggestions?

(does the SP1 beta fix this? If so, where can I get a copy?)

Have you tried a different Vista disk to load from, maybe it is corrupted. Are you able to get hold of one from someone and try?

unfortunately, no. It wasn't a whitebox (should have been), it's store bought, and the "disc" is a second partition on the hard drive. I don't think the windows install is corrupt, because I've had this for a couple of months, and it's never done this before (that's why I went crazy with virus scanning). I know you can download recovery discs fom HP, does anybody know if I can do the same with a gateway?

Ahh! Success (sort of). I can update, but css is not loading anymore. This page is boring without css :-(

Sounds like your internet connection has a lot of noise on it. How are you connected to the internet?

Back
Top Bottom