Virus on Laptop

slafa23

Solid State Member
My sister is having lots of problems with her Dell Laptop. It is occasionally not booting up all the way after reboots and she says she is getting "virus protection" messages. Also, her Windows Automatic Updates are set on off, and I can't turn them on. Even when I do it manually, it won't change.
Is there a good anti-virus software I could download? Or maybe some sort of error checking software to see what the heck is wrong with this machine?
Thanks.

Edit: So it clearly has a virus. When I tired to google and download Spybot, it went right to "StopZilla."
Any advice?

My sister is having lots of problems with her Dell Laptop. It is occasionally not booting up all the way after reboots and she says she is getting "virus protection" messages. Also, her Windows Automatic Updates are set on off, and I can't turn them on. Even when I do it manually, it won't change.
Is there a good anti-virus software I could download? Or maybe some sort of error checking software to see what the heck is wrong with this machine?
Thanks.

Edit: So it clearly has a virus. When I tired to google and download Spybot, it went right to "StopZilla."
Any advice?

If you have access to another computer, download Spybot and AVG and install them into the laptop. Run the programs in Safe Mode.

Caveman- I do have access to another computer. I am using my laptop to post on here while I work on my sister's. Could you tell me exactly how to do that?

Also, When using Mozilla Friefox, I would use Google to search something. When I click on a link, I get "hijacked" and brought to the website that has the "virus scan." I really don't know where to start with this virus issue.

Download the programs mentioned above. Then get a flash drive or blank cd and copy the programs over, then start up the laptop and install both programs. Once the programs are installed, I suggest you restart the computer and hit f6 or some variation (f6,f8,etc....) until you get the option to boot into Safe Mode. After you have successfully booted to Safe Mode, THEN run the programs, one at a time of course. Try that out and see what results you get.

Back
Top Bottom