Virus FTL

GSisaac

Baseband Member
I have some type of Virus or something on my computer. When I restarted it, it acts like explorer.exe is not running. I tried to run it, but it started and flashed the start bar and goes away. I either need to get a solution or I need to find a way to take all of my documents saved to a disk or something so I can reformat. Something where I don't need to manually click on the 300+ Documents.

I don't know what the heck is on the computer or what happend to it. Its a family computer so I don't know what they did and or downloaded. And Ive tried asking.

So please, So my mom doesn't go spend $200+ on a repair service for something that I can hopefully find a solution for, Can someone help me?

Have you tried to get into the computer via safemode.

To get into safemode in Windows XP

Press F8 Right after the POST test, (when your computer detects your RAM, and Drives)
This will be right before you see the windows screen, where the loading bars scroll across.

Once in try to save/backup all your files

then i would scan the PC for viruses with a program such as

AVG antivirus
http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10596553.html?tag=pop.software

Tried it all before, When In safe mode I have the same problem. No GUI or anything. Could it be corrupted system files? Any way to replace those?

EDIT: I just used my PSP to transefer files to my laptop. Thanks anyway.

GSisaac said:
Tried it all before, When In safe mode I have the same problem. No GUI or anything. Could it be corrupted system files? Any way to replace those?

EDIT: I just used my PSP to transefer files to my laptop. Thanks anyway.

There sure is here ya go.

XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To Repair Install, press ENTER
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

If you get files not found during the copying stage.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

KB 833330u Blaster removal

What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and Its Variants

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011
7. Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install using an Original pre service pack 1 or 2 XP CD used as the install media will remove SP1/SP2 respectively and service packs plus updates isssued after the service packs will need to be reapplied.

SOURCE

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI

Back
Top Bottom