Virtual memory

n9xv

Beta member
Hello all knowledgable people,

I hope this is the right area to ask my question. When trying to run various gaming programs I get the message "vertual memory to low". Does this mean I need more RAM or do I need to change a setting on my computer?

Thanks

n9xv

It just means that the pagefile.sys is increasing.... Windows does this when the current VM goes over the set minimum VM...

The pagefile.sys has a file size which is the set minimum size of HD space to use for VM. Mine is 700MB (Minimum). If apps are asking for more memory and the VM goes over the size of the pagefile.sys, Windows notifies you and the pagefile.sys increases its file size to say over 750MB. It continues doing this until the VM goes under/reached the minimum/maximum level. But When the max HD space for VM has reached, memory requests are denied.

Think of the pagefile.sys as an expanding RAM - the file increases when the VM goes over the minimum file size.

What this all means is that you need more RAM. Or You can increase performance by making the pagefile's max and min sizes high and identical. For example, i have mine set at 700 MB (Both max and min). This is to prevent disk activity resulting from increasing the pagefile.sys size.

128mb DDR will not cut it nowadays for todays programs, and the amount that is standard now is 512mb to 1Gb depending on how much programs you use.

Anyway though, changing the page file is rather simple.

Go to the Control Panel, System, and then when this window opens up, go to the Advanced tab, and click on Settings next to Performance.

On this Window, go to the Advanced tab and where it says Virtual Memory, click Change.

You can now increase the Virtual Memory to a desired amount. I wouldn't advise setting it too high, but just enough to make sure all programs can run withut the message popping up.

At the bottom, it should have a recommended figure which might help you decide.

I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom