Video Driver causing problems...

Angel Cage

Beta member
Hello there. I'm having a bit of a problem with my video driver. I just recently got the game Half Life 2: Episode 2 from my brother but when I went to play it, problems arose. I was able to get into the game and play for about a minute. I went to jump over something and my computer just suddenly shut down. I discovered it's my video driver. I have an ATI Radeon Express 200 series and I'm trying to update it. This is the problem.

When I go to install the new driver I get an error that says 'INF Error, Driver not found'. Then it goes on to tell me I need to set my display adaptors to a Standard VGA Driver. For one, I have no idea what that means, and two, I have no idea how to do that. I've been trying to uninstall my current driver (the Radeon) but no matter what I do it keeps coming back! I need help. I'm running on Windows XP. I have a very low grade computer for gaming, too. I'm surprised it hasn't exploded by now with all the games I play.

So can anyone tell me how to get rid of my current Radeon, get my settings to a Standard VGA Driver, and install a new current video driver? Please? Help! I really wanna play...

I'm pretty sure I'm using the right driver to install. I'm using the very one that you just told me to. I've done everything that guide has told me to do. I get to the 'install express or custom' page and when it tries to install it comes up with the INF Error, video driver not found. Then the whole thing with the 'change your video display adaptor to VGA before continuing setup'. How do I do that? Seems like everything is good to go except that one thing...Thank you for trying, though.

just uninstall the driver then restart your computer it should then be in standard vga mode allowing you to install the new drivers.
it's also possible that your pc isnt good enough to run that game.
make sure no other programs are running while playing that game.
always install drivers in safe mode press f8 while your computer is booting up and choose safe mode.

Okay so I got the Catalyst installed but nothing's happening. It still says I'm using the Radeon Express 200 and now I can't set my display settings back to normal. Everything's huge. When I try to play Episode 2 to see if it works it'll open up, show me Valve like always, and then it just disappears. Help! I have a whole new set of problems...

the catalyst is the driver the radeon express 200 is the graphics card.
in display properties you should have a slider to change the resolution if you move it put it up a notch or 2.

Back
Top Bottom