video card MB/memory stick MB

luckynunn

Solid State Member
I need to upgrade--I have a HP a424x desktop (new 5/04)-I need a video card and more ram--
I have 512MB on the computer--the video card that I am to purchase has 256MB--do I need to just get a 256MB memory stick to =1GB or do I need to exclude the card's MB amount and get a 512MB stick?

I just spent the last hr. attempting to put the computers spec.(dxdiag) on this thread-went through and made it little for you, typed my question and then hit post and it told me I was not logged in and lost EVERY single thing--so if you need to dxdiag thing to help me with the question--let me know

thank you for your time and consideration

Amy

Forget about the videocard. Just worry about the ram slots. So get another 512mb of ram. To get 1024gb total memory.

thanks for your reply--

what is the least MB that you would recommend on the card?--maybe I do not need the 256MB on the card then--I am a light gamer--mainly point and click adventure-my son has WOW--I am just looking mainly for one that will solve my 3D problem that I have--not necessarily speed-

How much are you willing to spend. Because for a videocard, to play WoW, I mean hell. My card can do that. And, it's only 128mb interface. And thats onboard ram. So really, you could use anything to play wow. But how much do you want to spend. Ill point you in the right direction. And do you have Agp, or Pci-express?

I ordered a Radeon 9250 128MB last week and found out then when I tried to stuff it in it was an AGP--I have only a PCI--2 extra slots--I would like to not have to spend more than $100 on the card alone
it will run WOW now-like you said--I was told to just get more ram for that--I am wanting to play Myst:Uru--it requires a 3D card that I did not have included--I bought the game new the same night that I bought the computer new (5/04)--it is still in the box--I dont play any of the fighting games, just the point and click stuff--but there are alot of them today that require the 3D thing--
I just bought a 512MB memory stick like you said--
thanks again for your reply

I don't think you'll have alot of choices since your only free expansion slots are both PCI, which is very slow for graphic processing. You might even bee better off using what you already have.

kyleman is right pci is very outdated, the newest thing right now is pci express and before that was agp, if your computer is that old it might be best to not upgrade and think about getting a new custom comp

EDIT: also keep in mind that a graphics card isnt all about how much ram it has there are lots of other factors that determines its performance such as pipelines, core and memory speed, shaders and so on

I was hoping with all of the cards out there - new and used - that there might be one that could fit my needs--I am not able to afford a cust. syst. right now--there are so many older games that I would be interested in playing that I thought I could get a card to run them that my computer could handle--
thanks anyway for your replies--

Back
Top Bottom