Video card issue

Dmonger

Beta member
Hello cf, I recently picked up a new video card to replace my old radeon 2600 the new one is a radeon HD 4670 after I throw it in my tower I tried installing the drivers off the disk that came with the card, after I restarted my computer the computer would load up just fine but after about 2mins the color would go all retarted. The screen would go black with two parralell lines of green doing down it and then come back up but the screen would be all pixilated with pinkish red. I uninstalled the drivers and it worked fine. Th refresh rate was sluggish as hell but it worked. So I figured maybe the driver was outdated and went to amd's website to find the newest one.I tried installing that one and had the same problem. I tried every driver for the card I could find and none want to work. I have never seen this probl before and have no idea how to fix it. Right now I am running xp media center edition. Any help you guys can provide would be apreciated thanks

Have you uninstalled the old Radeon 2600 drivers? I'd try it on another PC, or install a fresh install of Windows on a spare HDD, and try it from there.

If both were done and failed...RAM the card.

I am running the ati catalyst uninstaller right now that should wipe all ati data correct? Including the old drivers?

This is my theory.

Driver installed.
The video card is using its resources and all of its bells and whistles. This is possibly making the video card heat up to much(possible fan not spinning). A video card over heating can give you the types of display problems you are describing.

Driver not installed.
The generic drivers are not pushing the video card. Generic drivers are only made to get the general purpose of giving an output to the display, so the user can be able to visually install drivers and troubleshoot. So its not using all of the resources nor much of anything else. This means it runs cooler.

This is my theory, I could be way off your actual problem.
It could be a ton of other things. If I'm you, I am going to be looking at the cards physical seating in the slot, Heat Issues, and driver issues.

Sounds like you already knocked out the driver issues.

Also check and make sure that there is not a power cord that needs to be hooked up to the card. I know most 4670's don't need supplement power but I don't know them all, so just double check.

I did have a real pain in the ass seated the card in the slot since Dell's are a bitch it may not be fully seated.

but I had problems with my old tower having the video card not seated properly and it wouldn't even load up normally as soon as windows popped up the color would already be messed up. This one takes a minute or two before it does it.

I thought of overheating too, but it would have done it on the standard drivers.

Try it on another PC, and if that doesn't work, RMA it. It could be also the PSU that doesn't supply enough juice...

I'm with ihuser on this. Its time to try the replacement method of troubleshooting.

Try the card in another pc?
Try a known working card in your PC?

I'm also a big fan of RMA's when things are fishy...

I tried the uninstaller but it didn't work any other suggestions to remove the old drivers? I am at work right now so I can't really do my own searching sorry

Back
Top Bottom