Video Card???

Larisa

In Runtime
Hi everyone,

For the last few days I use my computer for e-mail and the web. Then I play an online game and my video goes black and I have to turn my computer off, then back on. When I start again the same thing happens. Everything works fine with e-mail and the Internet. Then I play a game like WOW or LOTHO and then the screen goes black. I think my video card is over heating, NVidia 9600 GT, because I can usually play for a few hours before all this starts happenig. Then when the screen goes and I start over, the screen will go black in a matter of 10-20 minutes but I can start over and e-mail/Internet work fine.

I forgot to mention that I have the game on the lowest settings and the screen still goes black. When I first got my computer, about 9 months ago, I played these games on the highest setting with no problems.

What's your best guess guys ... video card???

Maybe try uninstalling then reinstalling your video drivers

Edit
make sure there up to date too

Can you give us some gpu temps? Use techpowerup gpu-z to read them.

It could be nvidia's 65nm solder problem also, which would require you to put the card in the oven. Temps first tho.

Can you give us some gpu temps? Use techpowerup gpu-z to read them.

It could be nvidia's 65nm solder problem also, which would require you to put the card in the oven. Temps first tho.

Just reflow the board, not the oven specifically XD

Just reflow the board, not the oven specifically XD

? The most effective method, by far, is to use an oven at 395 degrees F for about 10 minutes to reflow the solder. Peole who have tried other techniques (heat gun, removing hsf, etc.) just have not had anywhere near the luck. This is a little different than the solder issue though, in that there are no artifacts when the card is rendering 2D.

? The most effective method, by far, is to use an oven at 395 degrees F for about 10 minutes to reflow the solder. Peole who have tried other techniques (heat gun, removing hsf, etc.) just have not had anywhere near the luck. This is a little different than the solder issue though, in that there are no artifacts when the card is rendering 2D.

Well, the card is hardly going to heat up or stress when using 2d images. So I really wouldn't expect problems with 2D. That, or the problem is there and he just hasn't noticed it yet. But I find it hard to believe that a heat gun (which is intended for reflowing solder) is less effective than an oven. I think whoever was using the heat gun is a failure :p

Well, the card is hardly going to heat up or stress when using 2d images. So I really wouldn't expect problems with 2D. That, or the problem is there and he just hasn't noticed it yet. But I find it hard to believe that a heat gun (which is intended for reflowing solder) is less effective than an oven. I think whoever was using the heat gun is a failure :p

The gpu has bad connections to the pcb which causes 2d artifacts in most cases. The reason the heat gun did not work is because the solder that needs to be reflowed is underneath the gpu, and it will burn the gpu up before the heat fun can get the solder hot enough to reflow. The oven is much more controlled and has less a risk of damaging other components.

I would first try uninstalling your current drivers and reinstalling the newest drivers available here: NVIDIA Driver Downloads

Check to make sure the video card's cooling fan is operating properly. Short of that, it may be that your card is starting to fail. If it's still under warranty, you can see about getting it replaced.

I would first try uninstalling your current drivers and reinstalling the newest drivers available here: NVIDIA Driver Downloads

Check to make sure the video card's cooling fan is operating properly. Short of that, it may be that your card is starting to fail. If it's still under warranty, you can see about getting it replaced.

I installed the latest drivers but I didn't delete the old ones first. I will delete and install again.

Thanks Atomic Rooster and congratulations on 10,000+ posts! :)

Well I tried to uninstall and then install the drivers and that didn't work so I restored my computer to a date I knew it was working. It seems to have taken care of the problem.

Thanks for the help guys!

Kisses! - Larisa

Well it's happening again. My restore didn't fix the problem. Could it be something else besides the graphics card? I don't see how it could be. It's not a virus, not the internet, maybe the CPU??? The fan on the card is working fine by the way.

Can anyone think of any other reason why it could do this?

Is it time to put it in the oven?

I've been looking at new video cards. I want an ATI this time if I buy a new one. Anything out there for $100-$120? Or the equivalent of what I have, Nvidea 9600GT?

Back
Top Bottom