Vid Card/Power/Boot problem

EDn

Beta member
Hey guys, I've had this problem for a while now and I don't know what to do. Simply put, I try to connect all my devices to the PSU and the computer boots up. Then, one restart and then my 9800PRO says the Video Card isn't connected to the PSU and is not receiving power. I then have to proceed to rearrange all the cables and connect them differently over and over again until I can manage to connect both HDD and the video card. It's rare that I can connect both my DVDrom and DVD-R without the computer freezing after.

I started out with a 370W PSU, a XFX5900, and upgraded to a new mobo ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe. Everything was fine but after a year or so the 5900 started spamming me in-game/windows that the card wasn't receiving enough power and it would lower performance. I rearranged the cables and it worked fine for a while and it started happening again. Naturally, I tested another PSU and everything worked fine (my brother's 470W Enermax), but since it wasn't mine I had to buy another one. By then, a friend of mine offered me a Prescott 3.0ghz 800FSB 1mb and threw in a 550W "Rhycom" PSU which was in perfect condition. Again, after a while it started giving me the same problem. My 5900 stopped working, so my brother gave me a 9800PRO which I'm still using. I bought a new mobo (P4P800 SE) in case the problem was due to a semi-fried mobo but I'm still getting the problem.

I'm going to buy a new PSU unit to make sure it's not the PSU, because I'm really out of ideas.

Any thoughts? Feel free to e-mail me at ed_negroni@hotmail.com or sent me a PM.

--EDIT--

Oh yeah, sometimes when my computer freezes, I restart it and then gives me a "File *** not found. Please restart the computer" something like that and it does not boot my primary HDD (WinXP)... I rearrange the PSU cables and it boots up again :/

I hope you made sure to connect the dedicated molex connector for the vid card. I know that may be kind of dumb for me to ask but hey you never know.

Heh I did. The thing is, everything started out fine... at first with the 370W PSU, when it started happening, I thought I didn't have enough power for both HDDs, the DVD-r, the DVD-rom, the video card and the additional fan I had installed, so I started by disconnecting the DVD roms and even sometimes had to disconnect my secondary HDD. Right now, my case has been open for quite some time since I basically have to rearrange the cables various times each day :/

And well, with the 550W it should be more than enough power. The only thing I can come up with is that my current PSU is dying on me or wasn't that good to start with.

hmm i have not a clue what the problem could be then. Maybe one of the cables is faulty. IDK. Hopefully someone else can give you some helpful input lol.

Maybe I'm just one of those persons that has bad luck with PSUs... but the first one started doing this about a year after I had it and the second PSU after 2 or 3 months :S I'm just completely clueless

Back
Top Bottom