VGA going out..new next generation digital display interface

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I think someone on here mentioned using HDCP on Windows Vista and how we may need new monitor to use it. Well, I stumbled onto this that you should find interesting. Apparently, the old VGA is going to be phased out. Yes, the AGPs, old CRT monitors are going to RIP finally. Eleven companies announced a plan to develop a new standard for connecting monitors to computers. The Unified Display Interface (UDI) promise an initial bandwidth of 16 Gb/s in its bid to replace the ancient museum quality VGA!!!! UDI is suppose to be fully compatible with High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) and High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). These 11 groups currently consists of Apple, Intel, LG, National Semiconductor, Samsung, Silicon Image, Nvidia, THine, FCI, Foxconn and JAE.

High Defintion displays. Wow...I know we have them already, but this will be standardized soon.

http://www.siimage.com/news/press/detailpressrelease.aspx?id=340

WHAAATTTTTT. That will slow down graphic cards though while playing games, because theres more video to process.....:(?

No it cant never be stand. because there will always be budget pcs and not many people like to put much $ into a pc . High deff displays are nice , like the one on my laptop,very clear but also cost more lol, not this soon at least , microsoft is crazy with the new OS , people dont want to put alot in a pc, Like my grandma.... she just wants to browse the internet but she wants the new OS...and for the people who like games...WHO WANTS A PROCESSOR AND MEMEORY HUANGRY OS!, Not me

They claim that performance will increase though. There's probably a technique they'll apply to speed up process or something. This proposal is so early in the works though so a lot of change will take place when the time comes for the actual implementation. Video cards, I'm sure, will change very quick to adapt as will developers hopefully. I mean, PCI-e took off like nothing and we're seeing more and more people with LCDs in businesses and schools as well as general consumers.

New monitors will have to come out to use this great stuff and I'm sure there will be options using the traditional LCD or CRT still, but not in great demand anymore. I can't wait for the day. High Defitntion viewing and also the new WUSB (wireless USB devices) coming soon. So much good stuff. That's why there should always be a market for budget minded people and not completely phase out VGA too fast. Otherwise, this technology will lose.

Yea , there has to be options , oh and nice laptop ;).... i looked at that one at bestbuy, prolly same one , but i decided to get the sempron hp zv6000,screen has better quality and i likes how it was made, but it wasa tuff choice cause the 64 bit sounded nice

Yeah I got that one at a CompUSA store. I had to go to 3 stores to get that one. They were all sold out everywhere. That laptop wasn't suppose to be mine, but another customer. He had it on hold, but since that customer wasn't going to pay for the 2-year warranty plan and I was, I got it instead of him. The manager said that he was going to ship one in from another CompUSA store elsewhere. I told him good luck, because I went to 3 of them already and they didn't have any in stock.

They were hot at the time. It works well for me and I really like the widescreen display. The hard drive is so slow, which I hate. I'll probably keep that for awile though unless someone want to buy it off of me for a good price.

Yea its not my processor on this holding me bak its the hard drive but i like it , plays some games welllike half life, and people at places "WOW AT MY COMPUTER" i just might upgrade the hard drive in it, get a 7200rpm off ebay and stick it in there,proble solved

So how does this new interface compare to dvi? And does this mean we will need new graphics cards too?

yeah i saw an article about that on digg.com i saw a video of the new UDI moniters performance, its reallly nice

but awefuly exspencive

Back
Top Bottom