Very Basic Question

hockeyman4413

In Runtime
Hi guys,
this is a pretty lame question, but here it goes. i was goin through the power setting and i noticed that i didnt know the difference between hibernating and standby. if someone could please explain them to me, that would be great. ikno this is a stupid question and i know i should know this, so plz dont spam me, hehe. thnx

Hibernate saves an image of your desktop, including all open windows and files. Then it powers down your computer just as if you had turned it off. When you turn your computer on again, your windows and files are open just as you left them.

Standby is a more traditional sleep mode, as it reduces the power your computer uses to almost nothing. When you select Standby, the power to your screen, hard drive, and peripheral devices is cut. However, the power to the computer's memory (RAM) is maintained so your open files stay open.

Yeah, hibernate basically copies all the data from RAM to your HDD, then powers down. When you reboot it loads everything back into RAM so its in the same state as before it was shutdown. Also, to run hibernate mode, you need to have the same amount of free HDD space as you have RAM, or you cant enable it.:)

Back
Top Bottom