using a PC fan to cool a wooden cabinet ?

stevethebrain

In Runtime
I have my stereo inside a wooden cabinet and it gets kindof warm not hot.
cc4k.jpg

I'm planning on using a computer fan to exhaust warm air away from inside my stereo cabinet.
1.can I mount this fan horizontally without creating a oil leak? I certantly don't want fan oil on my stereo.
2.I have a 6Volt DC wall plugin power supply (wall wart) will 6V DC be enought or to much voltage?

3.this fan will be exposed to open air so dust will be a concern maybe a low level dust cover above fan will help keep it clean.
Here's the fan I'm concidering
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226033
Thanks STB

Last edited:
I can't answer too many of these questions, but I can tell you it does work great. I bought 2 80MM fans to cool my cabinet. I put one blowing in, and one blowing out. The temp of my cabinet is noticebly cooler. I didn't have a power source outside my computer, so the cords run into my computer and get power that way. Which is nice because they turn off when the computer goes to sleep (which is what we do when we aren't using it). I got the white LED fans for 2 reasons. 1. It verifies tht they are on when we turn the computer on. 2. They actually are bright enough that they provide some light in the media cabinet and I can see what I'm looking for when something is way in the back. My only concern was/is noise. However, once a movie or tv show is playing, we don't hear them anyway.

So I wasn't much help, other than to say that it does work great.

post a image of you'r cabinet.

I plan a lighted switch mounted just under the cabinet don't want to use PC power becauce I sometimes use the DVR, BD player or just watch live TV
the AVR is allways on.

I guess I could mount the fan dianglley and locate to the rearest part of cabinet so if oil ever did drip it would'nt go inside the AVR.

what fans did you get got a link.

My main ? is will 6Volts DC be enought voltage or too much.
STB

Last edited:
This is copied from the details tab:
Power:
Operating voltage: 6-14v
Current draw: 0.05A
Power consumption: 0.60w

Does the Operationg voltage of 6-14V not suggest that it will work? Honestly I have no clue....

Yeah it will work. At 6 volts it won't turn as fast as at 12 volts. Run quieter though.
As for a filter, you can get ones that mate up to the mounting holes in the fan. Use the same screws that you mount the fan with to hold the filter in place.

Back
Top Bottom