Using Bitcomet Kills Internet Connection

Lee1976

Solid State Member
I have a Linksys WRGT-G wireless router. My desktop is running Vista and is connected directly to the router. My internet connection is never an issue unless using BitComet to download stuff from torrrent sites such as Mininova and about 5-10 minutes into downloading, I lose Internet connection.

I'm fairly new to using torrents and I've been using Limewire for a couple years now. My internet speed is pretty fast....on Speedtest.net I clocked 27Mbps for a download speed and 10 Mbps for upload. I've read on other sites that this is a common problem with downloading torrents but I didn't see any solutions.

Usually as soon as I exit BitComet, my Internet is up and running again. I don't have to restart my PC or unplug the modem, which most users seem to be doing. Does anyone know why exactly this happens?

This usually relates to having a crappy router that can't handle the stress. This is usually due to residential routers not having enough memory to track all of the connections. Your router model you claimed to have doesn't exist, if you could look at the modem number again that would be great. Just assuming it's a residential linksys product can help explain these issues. Also, does the internet act slow and die out on just your computer, or does it affect all computers in the house? Windows operating systems have some "features" that mess up some torrent clients and cause a single computer to not be able to establish any new connections.

Also, could you redo your speed test? Those results seem a bit odd for a residential line and you may have mixed up a decimal place. If those are your real speeds, and you want to take full advantage of tormenting quickly you need a fairly high end router. There are some workarounds that you can use to lessen the strain on your router, but they do affect torrent speed.

Just assuming it's a residential linksys product can help explain these issues. Also, does the internet act slow and die out on just your computer, or does it affect all computers in the house?

Also, could you redo your speed test? Those results seem a bit odd for a residential line and you may have mixed up a decimal place. If those are your real speeds, and you want to take full advantage of tormenting quickly you need a fairly high end router. There are some workarounds that you can use to lessen the strain on your router, but they do affect torrent speed.

When downloading torrents, the internet speed stops instantly within 5-10 minutes (depending on how much I'm downloading) and it affects the whole house. No one is able to go online.

Here is a link to my speedtest.net results:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/460308724.png

And yes, in terms of the router I use I wrote the model number wrong. It's a Linksys WRT54G...I wasn't home during my last post and I was guessing. But the download speed was fairly close. I was wondering why it was so high....most people I've been asking say they are around 10 Mbps for download. Maybe I gotta check with my ISP and make sure they're not charging me for something I didn't sign up for.

When downloading torrents, the internet speed stops instantly within 5-10 minutes (depending on how much I'm downloading) and it affects the whole house. No one is able to go online.

Here is a link to my speedtest.net results:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/460308724.png

And yes, in terms of the router I use I wrote the model number wrong. It's a Linksys WRT54G...I wasn't home during my last post and I was guessing. But the download speed was fairly close. I was wondering why it was so high....most people I've been asking say they are around 10 Mbps for download. Maybe I gotta check with my ISP and make sure they're not charging me for something I didn't sign up for.

*drools at speed*

The WRT54G are really really craptastic, they don't have the "horsepower" to really handle torrents. The memory on these models overflows either causing a complete lockup of router or sometimes the inability to create new connections. So your connection may be fine while running a speedtest or browsing the web, but throw torrenting at it, or a few users streaming video, browsing and gaming and it's going to slow to a halt, cause latency, disallow new connections or flatout crash.

I have two recommendations to solve this issue. The first is using a Linux based router based on older PC hardware. A pentium 3 system doesn't use much power, and installing a router operating system on it will give you extreme performance and extreme stability. I use this method and it's worked great, router has ran almost a year without a reboot or single problem. It's a fairly easy process to setup and I'd be glad to help you. I use an OS called smoothwall on mine http://smoothwall.org/

The second recommendation is purchasing an off the shelf, more powerful router. One of the cheapest ones I can think of is the Linksys RV042 which can more adequately handle the heavy load of torrents. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124160

You can still use your existing WRT54G as a wireless access point only, which will allow your computers to wirelessly connect to the internet while having a different router do all the work.

I have a WRT54GS and it works just fine with torrents. We have 4 computers connected to it, two wireless, two hard wired. My son downloads torrents wirelessly, while everybody else is either browsing or gaming.

I have a WRT54GS and it works just fine with torrents. We have 4 computers connected to it, two wireless, two hard wired. My son downloads torrents wirelessly, while everybody else is either browsing or gaming.

Most S version's have 4x the memory (32MB in the S, although newest S only have 16MB) which the WRT54G for the last 2-3 years have all came with only 8MB of memory. The GS'es are more powerful and able to handle far more connections without "overflow"

Some third party firmwares capable with some WRT54G's have addressed these problems and help get around the instability issues (such as DD-WRT) but it's not at all fast enough to support a line of that speed.

Back
Top Bottom