URGENT: I need help updating a ASUS BIOS

waylandcool

Solid State Member
I have a computer I'm working on that might need a BIOS update. I downloaded the ASUS BIOS update utility, aflash.exe and the newest BIOS from ASUS, d1008.ami. When I run aflash from a DOS bootable floppy, I get a "CANT FIND SYSTEM BIOS HOOK" error. The board is an ASUS P4S800D-E running a 2.8ghz P4 with Win XP Pro.

I'm updating the BIOS as a last ditch before telling him to replace the board. Here's the problem: When the guy boots into Windows, his 160 GB hard drive and his 200 GB hard drive show up as 31.4 GB and 95.6 GB respectively. I already pulled the 32 GB limit jumper off the 160 but that only affected the 200 GB drive as it went from 31.4 to 95.6. The BIOS setup screen says that it sees the drives as 160 and 200 GB drives but Windows differs. I installed SP2 to see if that did anything but it didn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like those drive limits might be caused by Windows. I've heard that there are lots of issues with high-capacity drives in Windows.

first thing: DO NOT RESTARt THE COMP!

Get another working internet capable machine and try to get the file and BIOS flash program again

As for the HDDs, follow spank_fusion's saying

I'm not sure if it's a windows issue. My system at home runs 2 250 GB drives with no problem even before I installed SP2. I suspect it's a motherboard issue. Just a gut feeling.

Just as long you don't restart the comp, you're good to help flashing it again

lhuser said:
first thing: DO NOT RESTARt THE COMP!

Get another working internet capable machine and try to get the file and BIOS flash program again

As for the HDDs, follow spank_fusion's saying

Restarting the system isn't an issue since aflash doesn't start up. I can't even get it come up.

waylandcool said:
I'm not sure if it's a windows issue. My system at home runs 2 250 GB drives with no problem even before I installed SP2. I suspect it's a motherboard issue. Just a gut feeling.

Well just because something works in one computer doesn't mean that the same thing will work in another. There are many, many variables to take into account. There might be other hardware limitations that keep high-capacity drives from working on that system with Windows - possibly the motherboard or any of the other parts (including the drive itself).

Back
Top Bottom