Upgrading Mom's GPU

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
My mom has a HP Pavilion desktop with an E2140 dual core, 2 gigs of ram, and a 320gb hard drive. Once in a while, I will use my Logitech G25 Racing wheel on her computer since my desk doesn't allow the clamps to fit (-_-).

Anyway, the computer itself doesn't have its own video card. My mom will never really need one, but I wouldn't mind sticking something in there that could at least handle Live for Speed and some other games fairly well. I'm not looking for PERFECT graphics at high resolutions, but I want something strong yet cheap. Best bang for the buck I guess..

Two things worth mentioning...

1. I tried putting in my old Radeon X700 from my Sony (RIP) but its an AGP card, and my mom's tower only has a PCI-Ex16 slot available if I remember correctly. The card has to be PCI-E.

2. The PSU is only about 250 watts. Is this going to be a problem? As I said, I don't want a crazy card, just something that will show a good improvement over on-board graphics.

I'd like to see what you guys think. I'm surfing NewEgg right now, too.

Cheers,

Chris

Well, here's my argument: I think a 8600GT is a bit too much if you're gonna game on it every now and then. I mean, if you have the money go for it, but I'd say a 7 series would be just fine. I mean they're not horrible.

Get a 9600gt

Not the price range i'm really looking for, plus I figure a lower-end card = less voltage requirements. The one I linked in my 2nd post looks okay.... hm. I just don't want to buy it, install it, and load up Live for Speed (a really simple racing game) and then go "Awwwww SH*T".

IMO I still think a 7 series would suit your needs. The one you linked is good. But does it need to be 256mb? Maybe a 128 could do the trick. I'm not sure if there is one at 128 though.

Back
Top Bottom