Upgrading a Compaq Computer

Well, since you are using the same hard drive, all yo info and data will still be there, it just won't like the hardware change. You'll have to install drivers right when you start it up, but it should work fine, you'll definately need a new case and powersupply tho.

The thing I'm worried about is when I install the parts, And Boot it up, will it just boot up normally, or will I have to go into the bios or reinstall Windows xp or something this?

i thought windows would not work properly if you changed a significant amount of parts, it has some kind of recognisation device built in?
woz

It may ask for the serial number, and it will ask you for drivers etc. Shouldn't have to reinstall, but don't quote me on that!

You will have to reinstall. When you change motherboards, you change the BIOS, so Windows wont recognize the new BIOS. You'll have to reinstall.

When I bought the Compaq Computer, It didnt come with a windows xp install cd, what can I do?

aaronvong said:
The thing I'm worried about is when I install the parts, And Boot it up, will it just boot up normally, or will I have to go into the bios or reinstall Windows xp or something this?

if u get a new mobo but keep the old hdd with windows on it and u boot it up, your mobo wont recognized wuts inside the hdd because none of the information was ever passed to the mobo so therefore it wont recognized and will need a new install of windows.

Back
Top Bottom