Upgrading

Asario

Beta member
Hello forum,

I have a Compaq Presario CQ5000 tower with a M2N68-LA motherboard, and a Bestec 250watt PSU. I want to upgrade the PSU with something stronger--looking at this one here--as well as get a graphics card (this one), but I am not sure this is the right one.

I don't know if they are all compatible with each other. I read that you can't just fit a mobo in any tower either, so I am not sure what to do if I need to switch to a new tower.

Some things I would like to be able to do;

Fallout New Vegas > High
Team Fortress 2
GIMP/PS CS3 or 4
If possible, Skyrim
Other games to run on med-high

That processor might be a little weak for gaming.

You shouldn't have a problem upgrading the PSU and graphics card in that machine though.

Generally, OEM systems like that one don't make for a good gaming platform.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the reply!

What would be a good computer, but cheap (200-300$), to get for gaming/graphics that I can work and upgrade on slowly?

I was recommended by local shops to get this and a new graphics card for what I need, but I haven't been able to get any second ideas or whatnot, on it.

...It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get a good gaming rig out of a $300 machine...

I've highlighted, and underscored OhSnaps comments above because that is the plain truth. People will give you all kinds of recommendations and advice, but the bottom line is, trying to make a gaming machine out of an aging low end, OEM product is absolutely impossible.

I would urge you to save you money until you have at least $800.00, as a bare bones minimum, if you expect any kind of performance out of a gaming computer.

A moderate level of gaming performance will cost you around $1,200, and a serious, highly upgradable, play anything with max. graphics gaming machine, is close to $2,000.

I don't mean to place a damper on your idea, but I have seen so many people sink $500 or $600 into a computer for gaming, only to be sadly disappointed, and have to replace it in a year or so anyway.

+1 to Hameister and OhSnapWorld. If I were you I would save up and get something decent later. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Vostro-D...&ie=UTF8&qid=1348258484&sr=1-2&keywords=i5+PC

Or even better:

Amazon.com: Dell XPS 8300 Desktop - Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3, 16x DVDRW, Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium: Computers & Accessories

I'm afraid you can forget about gaming on high even with the XPS. What Hameister said about the price ranges is true. For around $700 to 800 you'll be able to get a half-decent system, but not for serious gaming. No way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom