Upgrade Problems - Anyone Help?

Colin1

Beta member
Hi- I have a Celeron Processor 433mhz / 64mb ram / on an Epox motherboard supposedly supporting PC-133 SDRAM.
I am a fair novice when it comes to the mechanics of the computer, but have dabbled at changing other hardware succesfully - so you can talk frankly.
I have tried to increase the size of the memory due to the computer slowing more and more, probably due to games and photos that the children and us now store and use the computer for. But when I installed extra memory (ram) the computer seemed not to recognise it - PC World insisted I buy a new PC (Very helpful) others have said that due to this being an older Celeron processor it will not accept upgrades and requires a different kind of ram??
I have replaced the ram which was in there 64mb sdram, with the same type but a 128mb sdram and also tried having them both in two slots at the same time, I have also replaced the new ram believing it to be faulty several times - but still the computer will only work with the original SDRAM........does any body have any ideas why my PC will not accept the ram or what I can do about it - and don't do a PC world and suggest buying a new one....not very helpful!....Cheers

First off, RAM doesn't help a computer nearly as much as people try to make you think. Though it will speed up most, your processor, OS, and how much you have running in the background makes ALL the difference.

There is a chance that your RAM is only running at PC66 or PC100, but regardless, most SD-RAM is completely backwards compatable. Double check this on the box though, as some could be different.

Try just using the new chip rather than both and see if it works. If so, add the old one back in the 2nd slot and see if it still works.

I guess the only other thing is just to be 100% sure you have it seated securly in the slots. Wiggle the clips and be sure neither are loose. Or, if you can see the ram, you can probably tell if it's straight and all.

Hi, Colin ...another idea to free up some space on your comp. & speed it up.

1) run the add/remove ...and delete any prog. you don't ever use or want...like checkers, hearts..ect.

2) you should check you internet settings....click internet options/settings/ at the slider bar...at default it's set to 500mbs....this is your browser cauche...it only needs to be at 60 to 80mbs.
(unless your downloading 500mb movies)

3) go to internet options again /click settings/click view files/ then go up one level near the top.
where you see the folder (temporary internet folder)

make a short-cut of this folder to your desktop.
then when ever you close down your web browser, you can empty the internet cookies from the shortcut
you just made.

4) you can also run defrag from safe mode to make your comp. more stable & faster.

Thanks

Thanks Both....both info is useful.
Referring to the Ram problem - I have tried many ways with the new ram - on it's own - with the old one - in a different slot - exchanging the ram chip many times for a new one, until the shop was most upset with me.
Do you think my PC needs a special RAM that is backwards compatible - if so any recommendations - or should I get a new processor which is more compatible?

I wouldn't think the MB would use spcial ram. Do you think you could try and exchange your chip? Get another one, even the same size, just to see if it would work.

As for the processor, that would make a huge difference in your performace, but it shouldn't make a difference with your compatability. Though a faster processor might be able to handle faster ram(or RAM at it's full speed), the motherboard is what really "decides" if the ram is correct.

Back
Top Bottom