Upgrade gone bad

HellfireGam3s

Solid State Member
so today i received 2 2gb sticks of ram in the mail, and tried to put them into the mobo. i take out 2 of the 4 512mb sticks of ram and replace them with the new ones, and boot up the computer. unfortunately, something screwed up with the video, and nothing would show on the monitor. when i fixed this problem, i tried to boot it up again. regular white text on black screen, but underneath the rest of the text it says "board failure". i assume this was meant to say motherboard failure, but i cant be sure as the screen was cut off to the side.
any ideas what i did wrong? is it a out of place part, or did i not ground my hands properly?

NOTE: i have a optiplex gx620 mobo if that infomation helps. my processor is a intel pentium R 2.8ghz. not sure what the video card is like.

Memory

Type
533-MHz and 667-MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Memory connectors

Memory modules supported
256-MB, 512-MB, 1-GB, or 2-GB non-ECC

Minimum memory
dual-channel: 512 MB;
single-channel: 256 MB

Maximum memory
4 GB

BIOS address
F0000h

You must take out all of the old ram as the max out for this system is 2 2GB memory cards. Put one in the slot closest to the cpu, then skip one and put the other. Since there are 4 slots 2 should be of one color and 2 another color. Boot the system up and it should work. If not then you didn't check the specs and got the wrong memory sticks.

Memory

Type
533-MHz and 667-MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Memory connectors

Memory modules supported
256-MB, 512-MB, 1-GB, or 2-GB non-ECC

Minimum memory
dual-channel: 512 MB;
single-channel: 256 MB

Maximum memory
4 GB

BIOS address
F0000h

You must take out all of the old ram as the max out for this system is 2 2GB memory cards. Put one in the slot closest to the cpu, then skip one and put the other. Since there are 4 slots 2 should be of one color and 2 another color. Boot the system up and it should work. If not then you didn't check the specs and got the wrong memory sticks.

THANKS! i wasn't quite sure how the slots were divided ( i knew they were split into 2 groups of 2, but wasnt sure which was which, so i hadnt tried that. ill go check that now!

EDIT: ok, after trying that, i still cant figure out if its worked, because now there is no signal for the video :/ what could i do to fix this NEW problem?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom