Updating graphics solution

Cadriel

Baseband Member
I am looking to upgrade my graphics card so I can enjoyably play the most recent games (Civilization V, like that.) Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place.

(If you'd like a dxdiag report, I'll post one but I'm not sure if I can use spoilers here so I won't take up the whole screen...)

I would like to know if I can play a game like Civilization V at a medium graphics setting at least 30-40 FPS for 150 dollars or less. If not, what would be my best solution for 150.

I am clueless to hardware upgrading, so all help is appreciated!

For a brief overview, I have an Acer Aspire X1300 with GeForce 9200 graphics card (i am aware it is somewhat old.) Processor is AMD Athlon 7450 Dual-Core Processor , and 3072MB Ram.

I am updated on my drivers and I can get about 13-19fps on Civ 5 at low settings.

Also another question is if updating my graphics card is necessary, or if I may have to upgrade something else(?).:confused:

Thanks, Cadriel

Upgrading the video card is a good idea. Make sure your power supply can handle the upgrade. The EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti is roughly the best you will get in your budget. It should play your game well max settings.

Thanks. How do I tell if my power supply can handle it? I will take your idea into consideration.

Thanks. How do I tell if my power supply can handle it? I will take your idea into consideration.

Unless you've changed it, it can't. Acer's site says it's a 220 watt, and it's definitely not a reputable brand. You're going to need to upgrade that.

I like to play safe and go with 700W+. However, it seems your system must be pretty power efficient to run on only 220W. So, a minimum of ~600W.

I like to play safe and go with 700W+. However, it seems your system must be pretty power efficient to run on only 220W. So, a minimum of ~600W.

Even Nvidia only recommends a 400 watt minimum with that card, and they usually over shoot. Minimum of 600 is kind of outrageous. I would go with a good, respectable brand, and around 500 watts. Nothing overkill, but still gives you some excess for the future.

I'm not exactly sure on what a respectable brand is when it comes to power supply. What are the price range on something reliable? I don't want to really go over $200 in total. So what exact product would you guys suggest?

Even Nvidia only recommends a 400 watt minimum with that card, and they usually over shoot. Minimum of 600 is kind of outrageous. I would go with a good, respectable brand, and around 500 watts. Nothing overkill, but still gives you some excess for the future.

Ah, I didn't notice. I'm so used to Nvidia cards with 600W minimum. Also I took another look at that computer. I think it may be too small to fit anything.

Back
Top Bottom