Is a two year old hard drive too old to use as a backup drive?

mitts2010

Baseband Member
I don't have much money, and I need an external drive to use for backup. So I am going to just buy a cheap external enclosure, but for the actual drive, I was thinking of using a two year old Western Digital 160gb hard drive that was on sale at best buy two years ago. I put it in a computer I barely use and there is nothing on it, should I buy a new drive, or just use that one? I have written/read from that drive only a few times a month since then.

it should be fine, especially if you are only going to use it as a back-up drive you wouldn't be accessing it as much as if it were your primary drive. everything super important you may also want to have an additional back up of it on a dvd....maybe back up to your hdd every week, and onto dvd once a month or two.

I finally put an 80 gigger Sansung in as an external drive. I've got it set up so I can use it on my vista or xp rigs. It's over two years old as well. It's a VANTEC NexStar 3 usb 2.0 drive enclosure. If you happen to come accross how to spin it down when not active would you please post it here or at my place. The vibration is driving me bonkers. It's sitting on a mouse pad for now but may wind up on the far end of the pistol range before long.
Sorry to jack your thread but you may know something I don't. lol

OK, I'm going to pick up a cheap $20 case from Radio Shack....so I get 160gb for just $20.

Back
Top Bottom