*The Tuniq Tower Test*

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
I went ahead and ordered the Tuniq Tower and some AS5 from newegg a few minutes ago. This should be an interesting change from my stock Intel fan. For now, I've returned my computer's configuration back to stock (no OC) for the sake of comparing both stock and OC temperatures.

I chose the Tuniq Tower because it offers comparable cooling to the TRUE, but is a bit smaller and IMO looks better in a case. I wasn't too sure if I wanted a tower like this one blocking almost half of my case window, but we'll see how it goes. I like the Tuniq lettering and design of the front plate.

Once the part is here, I'll go ahead and take pics of the install and finished product, as well as compare and post pics of temperatures with both the stock and the Tuniq coolers.

Just one question: Can anyone find a decent 120x120x25mm LED fan (RED) that would be compatible with the Tuniq? I know they have a Blue LED version but my case is all red inside, so I'd like to have a red fan in the Tuniq as well. I think it would look pretty sweet with red splashing out the fins. If its not possible to just slide in another fan, then i'll stick to the one it is supplied with.

Any suggestions are welcome, and hope to have the review soon.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm interested to see the results of this, I have tried the TU120e, the IFX-14 and the Zalman 9700NT, about the only decent one left to try is the Tuniq.

:)

Red LED fans, mmmmmmm, sorry I'm not going to be much help there I only have one coloured fan which is blue and I didn't even intend to buy one with LEDs, just misread the label lol.

Most likely they will be. I read that Tuniq says that there fan is better because it has 9 fan blades.

My problem with the Zalman is that they don't give the CFM. (or am I blind??)

The silent x looks the better of the two on paper, lower rpm (less vibration), reasonable CFM at a low dBA but I would like a higher CFM if it was me.

My Scythe is pumping around about 100 CFM at ~1800 rpm through my TU120e.

My problem with the Zalman is that they don't give the CFM. (or am I blind??)

The silent x looks the better of the two on paper, lower rpm (less vibration), reasonable CFM at a low dBA but I would like a higher CFM if it was me.

My Scythe is pumping around about 100 CFM at ~1800 rpm through my TU120e.

Is it reasonably quiet? I might consider getting that if its worth the upgrade over the stock fan for the Tuniq.

I'll make the final decision for the fan AFTER my install. I'd rather just slap the Tower on and see how happy I am with it.

Is it reasonably quiet?
Put it this way, I can't hear over my case fans :D

Noise isn't really a concern for me unless it is excessive, my whole pc would fall into the "bearable" section with all the fans on full and as I use headphones most of the time I can't hear it anyway. Cooling is more important to me given the heat we experience

I have the 1900rpm model that is at the bottom of this chart

At 37dBA it is a little louder than most but the CFM is truely impressive.

Hey all,

I went ahead and installed the new Tuniq Tower today.
Here's a semi-detailed write-up for you guys.

Here's a picture of the stock Intel heatsink/fan. It does a good job at keeping my Q6600 cool, but I wanted more cooling power, especially since I've been running at 3.0Ghz for a while now.
DSC02172800x600.jpg

I removed the video card, wires, and cables from the motherboard, then pulled the whole thing out. I then went ahead and removed the stock heatsink/fan. Mmm...dusty.
DSC02178800x600.jpg

I went ahead and got some isopropyl alcohol and some towels to clean the old paste off the Q6600.
DSC02185800x600.jpg

Cleaning it was easy; just take a small amount of alcohol, dab it onto the old paste, and carefully wipe it off.
DSC02186800x600.jpg

Here's a pic of the surface ready to have Arctic Silver 5 spread onto it.
DSC02187800x600.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the actual installation of the Tower itself, but it was fairly easy:

1. Attach the X plate to the back of the motherboard.
2. Hang the H plate from the Tuniq Tower, and mount the Tower over your CPU.
3. Slide a spring onto the supplied thumb screw (4), and slide the screw down, going through the H plate first and coming out the back of the motherboard last. I had heard many horror stories regarding this step, so I was happy that it only took a minute or so.
4. Plug in the fan cable and you're done!

Here's the tower in its new home. The case is an NZXT Lexa Blackline case, btw. I've had many people off other forums ask about it. The one problem is that the tower is pushing against my side window fan, but nothing too serious to worry about. I didn't have to use force to close the door.
DSC02193800x600.jpg

That's about it! My first thoughts are as follows:

- It sounds completely different from the stock Intel cooler? More of a hum than an annoying fan sound.
- On its LOWEST setting, it is keeping my processor apprx. 8-9*C cooler at idle!
- I'll be waiting a few days for the AS5 to break-in before I resume my overclocking adventures. :D

I'll have some more screenshots of temperatures and other goodies soon, but until then, I hope you guys enjoy this thread. I would recommend this upgrade to anybody considering a new heatsink/fan. Plus, it looks killer!

DSC02195800x600.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom