Trouble using two video cards

dwright25177

Solid State Member
I need to run two video displays. one for the monitor, one for the projector. I installed a second video card since all that was in the computer was the integrated one, which happens to not have any drivers for vista, but works until I can get another one. Windows forces me to use the new card as my display and doesn't even show the integrated one now. What's wrong? How can I get both cards to do what I need.

Motherboard
New Replacement Part
Part Number: UW457 CT103

It's a Dell. New card is a ati rage 128 pro, made for xp apparently. it it a OS issue?

no, because its a dell.
It's not going to let you, they lock the BIOS to prevent that kind of stuff.

Maybe you should invest a few dollars in a *decent* card that supports multi-monitor.

So can I put two video cards in besides the integrated one to get the two signals? if i put a card in that has a vga and a dvi output, will that give me 2 signals or do i need 2 cards?

Yes you can, but being a dell, you probably wont have 2 PCI-e slots.

Just buy any *somewhat* modern card and it will work, just not one from 1999 like you did.

EDIT: give me your budget and i will find you one with 2 monitor ports.

Tiger direct had one certified for Vista for $30. Two at that price would be good. That was a PCI-E one.

Galaxy GeForce 8400 GS Video Card - 256MB DDR2, PCI Express, Supports 512MB, (Dual Link) DVI, VGA, HDTV on Tiger Direct. I know it's cheap. But I just need to put a picture on the screen. I don't need the bells and whistles. Since cards like this have dvi and vga can I get two signals out of it at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom