transferring files from windows 95 to vista?

nosignal1

Baseband Member
Hi, my mom got a new laptop recently and she has asked me to transfer some of her old excel files from her windows95 machine to the new vista machine, I'm not sure what the easiest way to do this would be. I've tried using a floppy disk but it wouldnt let the 95 machine format the disks, or put anything on them. The machine doesnt have a cd burning drive, so i cant burn a data cd, one way i thought might work would be to compress all the files into a .zip file and upload it to an online file hosting site like mediafire, but i cant make all the files into one zip file.
Other than putting each file up on mediafire one by one until they are all on there then downloading them onto the vista laptop, I have no idea how to go about transferring the files. Anybody have any ideas?

hahaha, woops dont know why i didnt think of that one. I'll give that one a try tomorrow when i have some time, thank you a bunch!

Pull the HDD from the laptop and either mount it as a slave, or buy a USB adapter and dock it up to the new comp, and drag and drop the files. I bought this one from my local computer store, Altex, but they are available everywhere. When you deal with HDD's as much as I do, it's well worth every penny.

Pull the HDD from the laptop and either mount it as a slave, or buy a USB adapter and dock it up to the new comp, and drag and drop the files. I bought this one from my local computer store, Altex, but they are available everywhere. When you deal with HDD's as much as I do, it's well worth every penny.

The hard drive from the new computer won't work with Windows 95, as it will be formatted as NTSC. Pulling the hard drive from the old computer, however, would work. But I think this person is looking for more of a free solution.

You'd need a crossover ethernet cable, and very few personal computers that old have an ethernet port. And for USB, you have to buy a special one (usually $20+).

If he's got a router, you should not need a crossover ethernet cable...that's only if you are doing computer-computer. So he may be able to transfer still if his 'puter has an ethernet port.

or get some free hosting and upload the files by ftp. the winzip thing should work fine though.

Back
Top Bottom