transfer speeds from HDD to HDD?

stevethebrain

In Runtime
I have a WD 1TB external HDD connection is USB 2, using it for Win7 WTV (recorded TV movie files)
aveage size 7-8GB transferring from C:/drive to K:/ drive is 35MB/sec (when it initialley starts I've observed speeds of 69MB/sec for a short time) about 6 minutes total time.

?1.if I connect this HDD internaley w/ a SATA cable directly to MOBO will it speed up the process? if yes bye how much?

?2.I'm concidering a SSD as my OS drive curious will the SSD speed up these file transfer speeds?

?3.I'm thinking it's the USB cable that slowing the speeds?

thought I'd mention the OS HDD is 1TB and it is about 75% full of Win7 WTV files.
also this OS HDD has not been partitioned.

Thanks STB

Last edited:
Max sequential write of an internal 7200rpm HDD is only around 100MB/s I believe, but you'd probably not be talking a great deal more than the speeds you are getting now.

Your USB transfer rate is actually pretty good, I only get about 20MB/s myself.

Some SSDs peak at around 500MB/s, but their true forte is boot times, and small random read and writes.

The HDD slows down, sometimes up to 50 percent when it's near completely full.

So....

Answers:

1.) Maybe be 2x quicker, probably not worth the hassle
2.) SSD transfer rate is quick, but the HDD write would slow it down anyway to about the same speeds you have now.
3.) USB connector is probably the bottleneck, yes.

Personally, I would not bother messing around with it too much for the speed gains you'd get.

But, thats my personal opinion, you might think otherwise mate :)

Regards

Joe this PC is mainly a home threater then little browse the net, couple emails
and a backup to my main computery computer the Lap top.

I'm planning to minamize transfering bye recording the WYV file directly to the correct storeage drive.

I'm starting to think I maybe better off obtaining a good quaility smallish OS HDD (maybe even a 60GB SSD not just for boot time because this PC usalley is always on or a sleep I'm thinking a SSD longevity is greater than a HDD)) and then use the current 1 TB OS HDD as a internal storage drive.

Thanks STB

Last edited:
Joe what do you think about this plan.

I'm starting to think I maybe better off obtaining a good quaility smallish OS HDD (maybe even a 60GB SSD not just for boot time because this PC usalley is always on or a sleep I'm thinking a SSD longevity is greater than a HDD)) and then use the current 1 TB OS HDD as a internal storage drive.

Thanks STB

Joe how doe's this HDD look for a OS drive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

after reading this review
Pros: Works great. The HDD is designed to auto-negotiate the speed with the motherboard
Cons: The HDD is designed to auto-negotiate the speed with the motherboard, but not all motherboards can auto-negotiate, in which case one must jumper two pins on the HDD. It would have been nice to provide one or two of those jumpers.
I'm concerned about will my MOBO reconize it.
Thanks STB

SATA to SATA internally is pretty quick. But to an external device like a hard drive can be slowed down due to several things.
USB is inherently slow. A transfer from an internal drive to a usb drive will get bottlenecked by the usb controller chip and the designed in cap on the speed.
If you're hellbent on getting a faster transfer rate I suggest if your computer has a eSATA port on it to get an external drive housing that supports eSATA. Put your external drive in the housing and go from there.
If it doesn't there are PCIe cards that that you can slip in and use.

Back
Top Bottom