Tracing issues on asus motherboard.

petershene

Baseband Member
Hi there guys I have a question which im hoping you could answer to prevent further issues. I've had a asus laptop one of 3 others and for a while its been giving me issues mainly randomly turning off ( when not on charge )
seemed to somewhat coincide with movement. I assumed something must be loose and shorting in there. Recently it did it again and then never came back on. I opened it up to find 3 blown ics by the charging block ( i assume this due to the charged look of them). I took it to be replaced by a buddy of mine who knows a little more than I do. This laptop has very much been unused and never bumped or anything like that, what could have caused such a thing because if it was a short from say something loose my charging cable or a capacitor would it just blow first time why did it keep doing it and turn on, i almost feel like there may be another issue and this is just the result of that.

As Celery said, first suspect would be that you used the wrong charger with too high voltage. Otherwise. a foreign object may have gotten in there somehow and shorted things or it could have simply been a defective component that had an early life failure.

Hi Guys I had a look onlne at the charger specs even got a voltage tester adn checked it out and thats fine ( keep in mind im no electrician) . Maybe something was loose you know i had a SSD put in there and saw the frame that supports it was actually bent to fit in the computer no screws even, if its not a defective component im wouldnt be suprised that the guys who put this ssd in loosened someting when they rammed that thing in. Its been two years so no real recourse.

Hi Guys I had a look onlne at the charger specs even got a voltage tester adn checked it out and thats fine ( keep in mind im no electrician) . Maybe something was loose you know i had a SSD put in there and saw the frame that supports it was actually bent to fit in the computer no screws even, if its not a defective component im wouldnt be suprised that the guys who put this ssd in loosened someting when they rammed that thing in. Its been two years so no real recourse.

If they shoved it in the case as you said, i would looks at the motherboard and see if they cracked the board. I would think that thats what happened.

A cracked mother board doesn't sound like something that you can just fix... I havent had any issues since but now im going to sit and worry about this. Would there be a way to see ( for somebody like myself ) if there is a crack. Or are we talking like tiny cracks that mess with the current flow? ie No you need to take it in.

The motherboard has way more clads in the motherboard. some on the front and back but others inside the board itself. I ha e heard of 4-5 different levels that help make up the board. No way to figure out where it is broken. If it is a newer board contact the Company and rma the board. If its out of warrenty, try finding a new one at newegg or on e bay. other than that replace the computer. from above that you are SOL. Good luck with whatever you get or find for it.

That's true. Cheap boards will have something like 4 layers and better boards have 6 to 8 layers. Each layer have traces.

When you look for broken traces you're looking at an impossible task. when it's broken it's disposable.

Back
Top Bottom