Time for a new build.

frodoz737

Beta member
Hi all.

Built my first/only desktop several years ago back when Vista came out (before SP1) because I was tired of the box store crap. It was built to cover anything I could anticipate with family, business, college bound high school kids...plus more. The reason I am here is because the tech/products/sw has changed a lot since then and before I cross to WIN10 I want to build another box. Below are the specs of my current box which has been a fully reliable, full functioning and left on pretty much 24/7/365 since it was built...only replacing fans as required.

cpu - X3380 (775)
cpu cooler - 120 tower with push/pull fans (2)
mb - GA-EP45-UD3R
gpu - BFG GTX 295
memory - OCZRPR800C4/8GB
hd - RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB
additional PCI/PCIE cards - WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE, USR5610C
optical drives - Samsung SH-223Q OEM, card reader, Floopy (don't laugh)
psu - PC P&C S75QB
box - Antec 180 w/4 ea. 120 case fans
current s/w - W7-64 Ult, Office 07 Ult, CS5.5 Master

So...any help out there. It took me months to learn enough to build the above and I just don't have time to learn the current hardware all over again. Emphasis is a rock solid, 24/7/365 machine that will do just about anything...like before. FWIW the current box still functions 100%, but after all these years I think it's time for an upgrade.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Forgive me for no links but inventories are nuts right now. This build would blow your mind. It would come to roughly $1K USD, give or take depending on which exact parts you go with. I am currently running a 3600X, AsRock X570 Extreme4 WiFi AX, 32GB 3200 DDR4, RX 5700 XT, dual NVMe drives... damn smooth.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
X570 motherboard, I recommend AsRock, Asus, Gigabyte
16GB (2*8GB) DDR4 3200 RAM
AMD RX 5600 XT GPU
256GB-512GB NVMe SSD as boot drive
1TB-2TB drive, either SSD or WD Black

Thanks TrotterTech...and my apologies. Too late to edit post #1, but I should have clarified 2 parameters of my new build. I prefer non-ECC Intel chipsets and NVIDIA GPUs that are "otherwise" built to 24/7 server standards. I'm sure things have changed over the years, but I first used a 4870x2 gpu in the above build and between driver issues and loosing one of the gpu cores rather quickly...it just left a bad taste in my mouth for AMD. Please respect this is not a "fanboy" thing...it's a choice.

No worries. I try to go with bang for the buck. I am not up to speed on the Intel side TBH as I have never used them in any build. With Nvidia it all depends on what you want to spend... if it were me I would go with a previous generation card (10xx series) because they are now less expensive and I don't see me concerned about RTX graphics.

You would need to tell us what you plan on doing with this. "Just about everything" isn't really an explanation. Do you plan on playing videogames? Video editing? Programming and compiling? Do lots of multitasking?

Well if you are not going to tell us what you'll be doing then you should at least say what your budget looks like.

You basically said "Ok I need a new computer. Here are the specs of my old one, for some reason. Thanks."

+/- $2,000. This will be the "house" main computer replacement "to cover anything I could anticipate". Current usage includes home, business, heavy video, 3D design, some gaming, ect...

If this is just another "one of those" forums, I won't waste anymore of your time.

Last edited:
I would say a ryzen 5 3600X would handle most anything you were saying. Don't skimp on ram faster is better. I am getting ready for a upgrade myself. Thats what i am using. Ask away. just be clear as to what you really need and we will offer our opinion. I would say a RX570 4gb video card. A 650 watt PSU 2.0 and 3.1 usbs front and on the back of the case. If you want Blem go for it. If you only want a case that fits in with whatever else i wouldn't go with the glass sides and the rgb fans. It don't sound like you need watercooling but a nice cooler-master cpu fan would do wonders. Let us know how it goes and what you decide on.

Back
Top Bottom