Thermal Pad And Thermal Paste...

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Hey guys.

I just wanted to know, since I'm getting an Opteron 148 (retail), do you need to put thermal paste on it? I think it has a thermal pad, as well, but do you need thermal paste as well as the thermal pad?

Thanks again!

(My stuff still hasn't shipped yet, I ordered it Thursday and got fast processing!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: )

no you only need one thermal interface material

if i were you id remove the thermal pad (they work basically by melting in between the cpu and heatsink... not good if you come to take the heat sink off - you never know) and get some thermal paste on there! (artic silver 5 is fantastic)

do not apply both though!

artic silvers website also has good instructions on removing thermal material.

note thermal paste thermal paste basically glues the cpu to the heatsink wich is bad just as bad as a thermal pad. u gotta get thermal compound.

Thermal pad or thermal grease are preferred, but just use the stock thermal pad. I'm not sure if the thermal grease is better than the pads, but I hear they do.

I have Arctic Silver 5. Should I go ahead and remove the thermal pad on the heatsink (and how, if so) or should I just stick it on there. I'm planning to overclock this thing, so I need the best cooling solution without really getting another cooler.

By the way, if I decided later on (because I might) to change to a different cooler for the CPU, would it be best to use the Arctic Silver 5 or the thermal pad?

At first, try using the stock thermal pad. Play with it for awhile and OC it. Monitor the temps in the meantime. If it's within normal range, then you're all set. I wouldn't bother with themal grease. If you do change to a different heatsink/fan later on, yeah, try the Arctic Silver. Why? You have to remove and clean off the old thermal pad anyways. Then put some of that thermal grease on there and see the difference. Most people use Arctic Silver and they love it.

Even if you use Arctic Silver now and later on put on a new cooler, you still have to end up cleaning the CPU too.

TRDCorolla said:
At first, try using the stock thermal pad. Play with it for awhile and OC it. Monitor the temps in the meantime. If it's within normal range, then you're all set. I wouldn't bother with themal grease. If you do change to a different heatsink/fan later on, yeah, try the Arctic Silver. Why? You have to remove and clean off the old thermal pad anyways. Then put some of that thermal grease on there and see the difference. Most people use Arctic Silver and they love it.

Even if you use Arctic Silver now and later on put on a new cooler, you still have to end up cleaning the CPU too.

Since I'm still undecided with my custom vs. company, I might as well ask this. I'm nervous about having to apply thermal paste/grease/pads. Which ones are there? Just those three? Which is typically best?

Is it difficult to apply? I wouldn't want to completely screw a custom system - it'd be my first time.

How do I montior the temperature? What stuff should you monitor? CPU and Gfx Card, that's it, right?

Thermal pads are most commonly used on stock CPUs. The thermal padding is already on the bottom of the heatsink with a piece of paper for you to peel off when it is ready to be applied to the CPU directly. Very easy to do. I don't know anything about thermal paste, but the two commons ones are thermal pads, and thermal grease (Arctic Silver 5 being the best to use).

To apply the thermal grease, you have to make sure the bottom surface of the heatsink and the top surface of the CPU is very clean. Use alcohol or something of that nature to clean it. Apply a thin layer of grease on the center of the CPU and apply the heatsink to it. If you are looking to buy "retail" CPUs. don't worry about applying thermal compound. The bottom of the heatsink will already come with thermal pad on it. Just take off the paper and slap the whole thing on the CPU and lock in place.

When you buy a new motherboard, it will come with software to allow you to monitor system temperatures (depending on your motherboard, there are various type of program that does this). If you get a video card, the drivers for it (on a CD or if you choose to download the new driver from Nvidia's website) will have the temp display when you go into the Display Properties from your Desktop, assuming your video card have thermal sensors which most do now.

What cards have thermal sensors? Do most MOBOs have that software?

Retail CPUs (as opposed to OEM) have the pad? Well, you say just remove the paper and put it on the CPU and lock it in place...is this easy? Is it built to lock in easily, or will I have to be really careful I put it in the comp evenly?

They all have them built in now. The 6600's, 6800's, 7800's and some other ones I don't know. All the motherboard I've seen have the ability to monitor temperatures.

OEM CPU comes with nothing but the CPU itself. That means you have to buy the heatsink and thermal compound for it. Putting the heatsink on the CPU is fairly easy. I actually had to read the directions on how to put on one of these bad boys on the Socket 939. They're different from the older Socket A. Yeah, take the paper off. Then carefully mount the heatsink so it fits in the support bracket. Make sure you have it lined up correctly because you don't want to put it on with the clip on the wrong side. Locking it up takes a little bit of work though. Man, it's been awhile since I put one on. The newer retention brackets make it a bit easier than the older ones. I remember I had to use a small flathead screwdriver to get it on.

Back
Top Bottom