Thermal Compound?

djskiggz

In Runtime
What kind do I need? and what should I get. About to head down to Frys!

I heard about artic silver. Is there a special type i need?

CPU: Intel i7 920

Thanks guys....

Another thing..I forgot to get a floppy drive.

Do i even need one?

Ah nevermind i looked up some searches and i guess artic silver 5 is the one i should get...

- AS5 is conductive, which means you have to careful when applying it. This can be hard for n00bs as they often use too much.
- AS5 is too thick, which makes spreading it and clearing it up a pain in the arse.
- AS5 requires curing time, up to 200 hours to reach peak performance.
- AS5 sucks performance wise, it is outperformed by a lot of other pastes which are none of the above ^^.

I will now neg anyone who recommends AS5 (yes serious)

Use OCZ Freeze or Arctic Cooling MX2.
Both perform better than AS5, are easy to apply, are non conductive, require no curing time, and you won't look like the n00b who uses AS5.

/thread.

To be quite honest with you, so long you apply some thermal paste correctly it won't really matter which you get unless you're overclocking. Personally, I run some AS5. I didn't think I'd OC it and that's what my processor came with although I bought it separately. I don't know if that made sense to you. I would probably take Worshipme's advice though if you really want some good thermal pastes.

Worshipme knows his shit.
"Shit" used instead of "stuff" for dramatic effect.

To be quite honest with you, so long you apply some thermal paste correctly it won't really matter which you get
No truer words have been spoken in this thread. They all relatively perform the same. Hell, I've been using a tube of Radio Shack thermal paste I purchased a few years ago that works as good as anything else.

You'll be fine using Arctic Silver 5. :D

Thermal transfer compound comparison - Dan's Data

I got Arctic Cooling MX-2. I like it better than Arctic Silver 5. It doesn't even need a curing time.

Back
Top Bottom