teh,, Harddrives.

Grantofhell

Fully Optimized
Ehh; going about my normal routines, checking temperatures and such - making sure all is well. But I noticed my SeaGate stopped showing its temperature. So I grabbed SeaTools and did some diagnostics. First off, it showed FirmWare revision SD1A which is...incorrect. I upgraded to AD14 minutes after I got the harddrive. So I performed a SMART test. It showed FAIL. I did a SDST (short drive self test) it showed FAIL, did another one of the same and it passed. Information for the drive still reads correct on cache size and all. I just assume the FirmWare didn't install properly as I checked the serial; This is one of the Infected 7200.11 series drives.

Thought, comments?

Thanks, Grantofhell.

:p Wouldn't be the first. I've much experience. Maybe I'll ream their knickers so hard that they'll give me a TB, lol.

Like Rooster said, I'd do an RMA if you still can. If the diagnostics are showing FAILS then you wouldn't want to take a chance with that drive in the future.

I've gone through with an RMA for my WD Raptor and I must say that they were very pleasant to deal with. Shipped the new one to me prior to receiving my old one.

Yeah, SeaGate said i'm pretty lucky it's still working. Thankfully, even though I'm outside my 30 day return policy, Tiger has agreed that i've spent so much money with them that they can cut me one easy.

The real question is...what should it be replaced it. I know I want SeaGate, 500GB +. but should I go with the new,more reliable, 7200.12 sporting 16Mb cache or replace it with the same, not very reliable, model 7200.11 sporting the 32Mb cache and run some risks.

OR are there other drives anyone can suggest that they know are reliable. I know I want to go to SSD's, but I also need a generic purpose drive for games and such. I've heard good stuff about WD drives. I know i'm looking for at least 500Gb with 32Mb cache in the <80 range.

Back
Top Bottom