System Stability...not very stable huh? (Fixed I think :D)

Re: System Stability...not very stable huh?

sounds like the ram. But at least when I had my ram screwed up memtest picked up errors in a matter of minutes.

Any chances of testing the computer with another psu?

Welcome to the wonderful world of build trouble shooting. I went through 1 motherboard, 1 ram module, and thought I had a bad harddrive but it was the ram.

It sucks troubleshooting. You can end up like me and have a bunch of extra parts so if something goes wrong all you have to do is swap things out lol.

Only thing i'm lacking is another psu. Knock on wood.

Sounds like its the ram though to me. What type of errors are you getting. I got errors like this when I had a faulty ram module. On another note I always wondered what everest did when it failed lol.

Errorpart2.png

Do you have more than one stick of RAM? I would try testing one at a time if you haven't done that already.

Well, as you know, I ran a hard drive test last night, and it finished 100% with no errors.
Ran memtest, and it ran for 10 hours straight, and was carrying on by the time I checked. No errors.

What is going on?! last week memtest failed after 3!

Yeah have two sticks of 1GB each, and as for the blue screens, its usually an IRQ error, but I've had random ones too, but those ones reset the computer too fast to read them.

........ and as for the blue screens, its usually an IRQ error, but I've had random ones too, but those ones reset the computer too fast to read them.
Assuming you are running XP:

My Computer > Properties > Advanced Tab > Start Up and Recovery > Settings Tab > Uncheck "Automatically Restart"

Next time it crashes take note of the error code

Also look in Event Viewer and see what has been reported there.

Right click My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > System

The Memtest error then no error would suggest to me that the problem may be psu orientated. I see no details of your psu, what is it?

I presume you have been to the Abit website and have the latest bios (if applicable) and all the latest drivers, yes?

Is your bios set to default settings?

Okay, I changed that setting to stop it restarting :)

I've also checked the Event Viewer and nothing shows there that could be an issue of it restarting.
Theres a few warnings - TCIP errors

A few errors on W32Time

And a few warnings about DHCP.

And a few errors about MrxSMB.

I've disabled the computer running server electons and got problems before and after this too (got told this may be the issue, but it can't be)

A home network supposedly, but I don't have one.
This computers just connected through the router to the internet, and another computers connected to the same router, but in no way connected to this one.

BIOS is fully updated to the latest, and so are the drivers, yes.
BIOS is set to default settings also. All I've changed is to get the RAM running at its right speed, but it was crashing even before then.

The PSU is a 550watt TruePower Antec PSU. They don't exactly have bad reviews. (didn't come with case)

I've been told maybe the IRQ errors are to do with the RAID, using the same IRQ and causing a conflict somewhere, but its a driver IRQ error - Not equal, on blue screens.

OK, now we wait for a crash, lol

What have you got your ram pumped up to? as in timings and voltage.

I've just had a quick look on the Geil site, do you have the CAS4 or the CAS5? What part # is the ram?

EDIT: Another question, is the Geil on the m/board QVL?

I have 4,4,4,12 RAM, but previously (still with issues), it was running at 5,5,5,18, due to the voltage not being up enough (1.9 was needed, not the default 1.8 as stated on a review I read of the same RAM)

As for a crash. Its probably iminant...

QVL? Its set in slots 2, and 4, running in Dual Channel. I've also tried 1 and 3.

Qualified Vendor List, a list of manufacturers and models that have been certified to run with your board, it should be in your manual.

From the Geil site:

PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz, CAS 4-4-4-12

Available in 1GB Dual Channel Kit (512MB X 2) Sku# GX21GB6400UDC, 2GB Dual Channel Kit (1GB X 2) Sku# GX22GB6400UDC
GeIL OC Certified FBGA 64MB X 8 or 128MB x 8 DDR2 Chips
Working Voltage : 1.9-2.3V
240pin, Un-buffered DDR2 DIMM
Metallic Racing Orange Heat Spreader
Retail Package
Life Time Warranty

Assuming this is your ram and not the CAS4 LL Black Dragon model, you may still not be giving it enough voltage.

Thats the right one,
and it is at 1.9v

Back
Top Bottom