Swap File

I am running an HP with 128 MB RD RAM, the swap File on XP is 256mb but on gentoo it will be 500mb. What will the increase in swap file size do for my computer?

Nothing. It's best to just leave it and let windows manage it.

Now, if you have 512M(and don't game) or 1G, you could disable it. I noticed a speed increase, but I'd recommend you upgrading before you tried this.

let windows manage it? that would make his pc slow down

when windows has to manage it constanly has to change the size of the swap file and that creates stress on the harddrive which in turn slows down performance, when you set a certain size for the file it never has to change and windows doesnt have to make it bigger or smaller. even though setting it too high may be overkill its good to have it when you need it.

Rule of thumb...

The rule of thumb is to make the page file 1.5 times the size of the total system ram. Then set it to this size as FIXED. It's a set size and leaves windows out of the loop as to having to set and reset its size as demands are made on it. Turning it off is not really a good idea as some types of software will look for it. Programs such as photo handlers will use the page file as a place to park pic files as you make changes to them. Same applies to word processors. When you have more than one page open it will shoot the documents out to the page file till they are called for.
Now if you have 2 or more hard drives this configuration will speed things up a good bit.>>> Set the boot drive page file to the minimum xp will allow. In my case this is 576megs. Set it to this as a fixed sized. On one of the other drives set the page file to the 1.5 times deal and lock it. The reasoning behind this is the drive can only either read or write one thing at a time. So if the program you're using is doing something on the boot drive the page file has to wait to be used. The first time this happens the boot drive page file stays full and xp shifts to the other drive. This way 2 drives are reading or writing at the same time. It's a hell of a lot faster and it does work rather well.

Ooooh, I didn't think about it slowing the computer down when it changed sizes. Hehe, learn something new every day, though running with no swap file is the best if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom