SuperComputer wiring

mnplus1

Baseband Member
hello so i saw the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlWnv4-H0W0

they basically take a bunch of desktop computers and wire them into one ownage computer. i was wondering if this is possible for a typical person to do? anyone ever try this? how are they wired together? is it possible to us usb (male to male)? also how would you run and os? would the hard drives have to be partitioned to one? or is a software available?

i was just wondering because i have like 3 computers of my own. is there a way to do something like that to have all of them running as one computer (with one keyboard, one screen, and one mouse?)

i am just really curious and if possible would like to attempt to do this.

thanks!!

That would be called a cluster. Wikipedia link. It would only be useful for doing CPU crunching work like video encoding or complex mathematical calculations or protein folding.

For Macs, you can check out Pooch.

which is why i dont see why they would want so many Procs

a few GPUs could easly do much better, for less power, and price.

Looks like a commercial for Apple.

That is completely insane, why would someone spend 5.2 million dollars on a computer system? And 350 million???......Completely nuts.

I can use my old timers, set all that up for close to free...seriously.

To answer the question, yes you can, but the thing is...it's no more than a server room. There's no super computer there..it's a bunch of Macs Processing their own and shooting it out in the network.

ok. is there a tutorial or something on how to set it up? (on windows os) also what wire is used to connect the pcs.

o and i'm not looking to build a super computer. i just want to connect 3 computers together and use them as one. for video editing and encoding and stuff.

and they are running windows 7.

Back
Top Bottom