Suggestions?

shozzking

Daemon Poster
im looking at building my first computer and these are the parts that i want to get.

Intel core i7 920
Corsair dominator 3 x 2gb RAM
Cooler master V8(some sort of CPU cooler, amazons offering a bundle, RAM, the CPU and this cooler and im not sure if its a decent one.)
WD velociraptor 300gb hd 10,000 RPM
Nvidea geforce GTS 250 superclocked
Samsung half weight DVD-W 22x lightscribe

I'm not sure what motherboard and case i should get. i've been looking at a bunch and it seems like all of the nice cases dont come with a power supply or cooling. is there anything else that i should get?

I was looking around to see what other people had ordered and im wondering if this case would work.

im looking at building my first computer and these are the parts that i want to get.

Intel core i7 920
Corsair dominator 3 x 2gb RAM
Cooler master V8(some sort of CPU cooler, amazons offering a bundle, RAM, the CPU and this cooler and im not sure if its a decent one.)
WD velociraptor 300gb hd 10,000 RPM
Nvidea geforce GTS 250 superclocked
Samsung half weight DVD-W 22x lightscribe

I'm not sure what motherboard and case i should get. i've been looking at a bunch and it seems like all of the nice cases dont come with a power supply or cooling. is there anything else that i should get?

I was looking around to see what other people had ordered and im wondering if this case would work.

The Core i7 920 is an amazing CPU.
CORSAIR is a very reliable company for RAM.
The V8 is a great CPU cooler.

You don't have a PSU, Case, or MOBO.

The Antec 1200 is a great case, but it is huge, you might not need that much space.
I suggest the Antec 900, unless you plan to throw a lot more stuff into it in the future. (like me :D)

You might want to consider 2x 500GB, 640GB or 1TB 7200 RPM hard drives in RAID 0 over a 300GB 10K RPM hard drive though. Better performance and more space for less/similar cost.

You'll probably get better deals at newegg.com than amazon.com

is it hard to set up a RAID 0 system?

No. Just get a MOBO that supports RAID setups so that you don't need a RAID controller.

Any X58 MOBO will work, if you plan on overclocking you should take that into consideration as the MOBO will limit you there though.

Is the RAM you chose DDR2 or DDR3?

If you plan on using this rig for gaming you might want to invest in a better GPU.

Speaking of which what do you plan on using this rig for? At what resolutions/settings, what programs, etc.

i have an xbox 360 to do most of my gaming on. maybe a bit of WoW, strategy games and photo/video editing most likely. i might sooner or later decide to play some crysis, will this set up work for that. what does MOBO stand for and what motherboard should i get?

i have an xbox 360 to do most of my gaming on. maybe a bit of WoW, strategy games and photo/video editing most likely. i might sooner or later decide to play some crysis, will this set up work for that. what does MOBO stand for and what motherboard should i get?

MOBO = MOtherBOard.
This is a good mobo to go with an i7 920.

I'm not knowledgeable on NVidia cards, that should run WoW fine, somebody else will have to comment on that though.

I would suggest at least a GTX 260 such as this: MSI N260GTX-T2D896-OCv3 GeForce GTX 260. It's overclocked and runs on par with the faster GTX 280.

Here's a case and PSU suggestion:

COOLER MASTER Elite RC-310

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W

You really don't need a RAID setup for a general use, gaming rig. Just a good sized 500GB+ drive will serve you well.

He said he also wants to do some photo/video editing and stuff. :x

But yeah you'd probably be fine with a 500GB 7200 RPM; save some cash to put toward other parts.

You don't need a sound card unless you need professionally high quality audio for whatever reason.

For gaming/music/movies the onboard sound on the motherboard is great.

If you absolutely want one though, the one you chose is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom