Stupid USB

joelbeveridge

In Runtime
Hey people. i got my spare PC here and im trying use my USB memory stick in the PC. Now i know all the usb ports work because the keyboards and mouse are ok in them ports. I have plugged about 6 usb memory sticks in my machine and everytime the computer Picks them up, but doesnt show them in MY COMPUTER. The only place i can see the USB stick is in Disk Mangement. I have updated the usb drivers (think so). Can someone if the best usb drivers for this mach or does anyone know how to fix this problem?

System Model- VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266-8235
Board- P4M266-8235
BIOS- Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 11/20/2003

Are the memory sticks formatted to store memory? I know that some memory sticks need to be formatted before windows will recognize it as a storage device.

Yea i have tried 6 other ones and reformated all of them. on other machine. I cannot format them on this machine due to i cannot see them in MY COMPUTER. I think its going to come down to drivers. Steps i take - PLUG any memory stick in > PC see's the stick and the little popup window tells me its connected. > I wait 5-10mins and no show in MY COMPUTER>i go to device drivers and i see under USB > The USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE says the memory stick name. If anyone can give me alittle advise. I noticed it didnt work after i started installing Readom USB drivers. Tried a roll back for the drivers and no go.

You should be to format it in computer management, if you can see it there

I can format the usb sticks in computer management on other machines, but when i try to on this mach, it tells me the stick is not set as a active partition and i will need to restart my machine. Restarting does nothing. Im trying to find the makers of this PC's mainboard so i can update the USB mass stroge device drivers. So far nothing really helps.

Has the drive got anything on it? Also, what does it say about the drive in computer management, eg healthy etc.

OK for this test i will use one of my memory sticks which is called Laxar (some company name by default). I have 2 hard drives in the computer management (C: and E:) Then just below the hard drives is the LEXAR memory stick which is healthy.

when i try to format the stick it gives me the error report - "The operation did not complete becuase the partition or volume is not enabled. To enable the partition or volume,restart the computer."

Good work Raffy

Back
Top Bottom